Star Walk™ - 5 Stars Astronomy Guide
By Vito Technology Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
***Over 8 million users! Winner of Apple Design Award 2010***
Star Walk is the most beautiful stargazing app you’ve ever seen on a mobile device. It will become your go-to interactive astro guide to the night sky, following your every movement in real-time and allowing you to explore over 200, 000 celestial bodies with extensive information about stars and constellations that you find.
Get started quickly
• Launch the app and point your iPhone at the night sky, you'll see the stars, planets, satellites, and constellations in their proper place from your location. As you move your device, the star map updates in real time. The Moon is the easiest first target.
• Tap Augmented Reality icon in the upper right corner to add the image from your camera to your sky view.
• Use Night Mode to go easy on your eyes and preserve night vision when exploring the Universe.
Go deeper and beyond
• Every object you tap has an (i) next to its name, tap it to access information.
• A scale on right is the Time Machine, slide it to explore the map of the night sky of tomorrow or years ago.
• A calendar of celestial events will make sure you never miss anything interesting.
• TelRad will help you find the exact position of an object when stargazing with a telescope.
Share your experience
• Project to a big screen with no picture quality loss. Star Walk is your personal planetarium.
• Explore stunning space pictures in Picture of the Day.
• There is an entire stargazing twitter community within Star Walk - don't miss out!
Duran Duran's keyboard Nick Rhodes mentions Star Walk as his favorite app:
"With the Star Walk app, if you hold your iPod up towards the sky, you can see all the stars and constellations. It even tells you the names of all the planets. Then, if you point it towards the ground, it shows you what all the stars are in the other hemisphere. It’s brilliant, and if you’re ever somewhere with a clear sky and no light pollution, it’s a revelation. It’s beautifully designed and makes clever use of the available technology. I’m fascinated by astronomy, but even if you’re not, give this a go."
What's New in Version 7.0.3
1) It is likely that ISON is not going to be the comet of the century. Nevertheless, we decided not to remove it from the app.
2) You can now turn on Picture caching in the Star Walk Settings. When caching is ON it will download the content only once and store it on your device. However when caching is OFF it will save you some space on your device.
3) Minor adjustments in texts and tables in Info to make them more readable.
4) Chinese localization improved.
Can't say enough good things about this app. Such incredible power and info! While it may seem pricey as apps go, it really amazes me to have such a tool for only $3. Other reviewers have said it's difficult to use. I disagree. Once through the tutorial video and a read through the FAQs is all you need. I mostly wanted it for the calendar of astronomical events, which is also wonderful. It gives you everything that's going on and allows you to add items to a calendar of your own. Stop reading about it and get it already! It's fantastic! Now if you don't mind, I'm going back to the app to see if I can spot the International Space Station, which should be visible in the next few minutes.
My science teacher recommended this app a few months ago because he wanted us to track some visible planets during our Universe Lesson. Ever since then and even weeks after the lesson ended, I often find myself in my backyard looking up at the sky with this app.
But what could make this app even better, was if you could save your favorite planets and stars, so if you think you saw it on night and wanted to make sure, you could go to a folder and look instead of spinning around for a while looking for it.
Most used app on my phone
I'm an astrophotographer and setting up my telescope requires you to pick stars from the computer and then center your scope on them. Since the stars change with the season I always have to find a new star to use and this is the app I goto every time to figure out names of the stars I'm using. Plus I use this app to determine when the moon isn't to bright so I know when I can set up my gear. And I like the calendar that tells you upcoming celestial events. No problems with freezing.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Dec 02, 2013
- Version: 7.0.3
- Size: 50.0 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Vito Technology Inc.
- © 2008-2012 Vito Technology Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.