Star Walk™ - 5 Stars Astronomy Guide
By Vito Technology Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
No In App purchases necessary! Star Walk is a classic augmented reality tool for identifying stars, planets, constellations, comets, ISS, satellites, star clusters, nebulae and meteor showers in the night sky. Astronomy pictures, widget support and renewing calendar are great for your daily experience.
***Over 8 million users! Winner of Apple Design Award 2010***
Star Walk is the most beautiful stargazing app you’ve ever seen on a mobile device. It will become your go-to interactive astro guide to the night sky, following your every movement in real-time and allowing you to explore over 200, 000 celestial bodies with extensive information about stars and constellations that you find.
Get started quickly
• Launch the app and point your iPhone at the night sky, you'll see the stars, planets, satellites, and constellations in their proper place from your location. As you move your device, the star map updates in real time. The Moon is the easiest first target.
• Tap Augmented Reality icon in the upper right corner to add the image from your camera to your sky view.
• Use Night Mode to go easy on your eyes and preserve night vision when exploring the Universe.
Go deeper and beyond
• Every object you tap has an (i) next to its name, tap it to access information.
• A scale on right is the Time Machine, slide it to explore the map of the night sky of tomorrow or years ago.
• A calendar of celestial events will make sure you never miss anything interesting.
• TelRad will help you find the exact position of an object when stargazing with a telescope.
Share your experience
• Project to a big screen with no picture quality loss. Star Walk is your personal planetarium.
• Explore stunning space pictures in Picture of the Day.
• There is an entire stargazing twitter community within Star Walk - don't miss out!
Duran Duran's keyboard Nick Rhodes mentions Star Walk as his favorite app:
"With the Star Walk app, if you hold your iPod up towards the sky, you can see all the stars and constellations. It even tells you the names of all the planets. Then, if you point it towards the ground, it shows you what all the stars are in the other hemisphere. It’s brilliant, and if you’re ever somewhere with a clear sky and no light pollution, it’s a revelation. It’s beautifully designed and makes clever use of the available technology. I’m fascinated by astronomy, but even if you’re not, give this a go."
What's New in Version 7.0.4
- Optimized for iOS 8 and iPhone 6/6+
- New widget: time of sunset and sunrise, current moon phase, and list of upcoming astronomy events on your Today screen
To add the new widget, just head to the Today view in your notification center and click Edit. Never miss a cool eclipse again!
This app was ground-breaking in its day and is still a fantastic app for the money. It was broken on iOS 8 for a while, but the developer fixed it--great work fixing this even though Star Walk 2 is out!
Star Walk 1 (this app), is still excellent, and even has a few features the newer app (and for that matter, many other similar apps) don't have. Telrad circles in particular. But it's a fairly close call between this, Star Walk 2, and Sky Guide. The each have their merits. Sky Guide is clean, and very intuitive, and my personal favorite--but Star Walk 2 looks amazing, and Star Walk 1 is still a great option, though it's not likely to receive more than bug fixes now that version 2 is out.
Either way, though, thanks for updating for iOS 8 and allowing your most loyal users to continue enjoying this excellent app!
I understand that you guys have released a new star walk app, but you should maintain this app as well. It just seems as if you guys decided that you needed to help your current users along in deciding to buy the new app by making this one full on buggy. I have used this app a lot. It is always included in my list of app suggestions and I'm sure you have reaped the benefit many times over of my word of mouth about your app. But I am to the point that I doubt I would ever mention your app to anyone else. When you get the feeling that an app developer is doing something scummy, it's a definite deterrent. I could be wrong, I hope I am and that the bugs get squashed, if so, I'll update my review. Biggest complaint, whenever I zoom or tap on a star, I have to recalibrate my phone before it will start sky tracking again. That is super annoying. Please fix it.
Just became my favorite star gazing app
Star Walk just became my favorite star gazing app now that it includes a notifications widget. I love having upcoming events right there in notifications, no more missing cool stuff.
I had five other star gazing apps (I know, crazy...), they are now removed from my phone. Finally I was able to decide which one to keep. The notifications widget was the icing on the cake!
Oh yeah, the app is awesome too. I find it tends to track my movements better than the other apps.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Nov 06, 2014
- Version: 7.0.4
- Size: 63.7 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Vito Technology Inc.
- © 2008-2012 Vito Technology Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.