Star Walk™ HD - 5 Stars Astronomy Guide
By Vito Technology Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
***Over 8 million users! Winner of Apple Design Award 2010***
Star Walk is the most beautiful stargazing app you’ve ever seen on a mobile device. It will become your go-to interactive astro guide to the night sky, following your every movement in real-time and allowing you to explore over 200, 000 celestial bodies with extensive information about stars and constellations that you find.
Get started quickly
• Launch the app and point your iPhone at the night sky, you'll see the stars, planets, satellites, and constellations in their proper place from your location. As you move your device, the star map updates in real time. The Moon is the easiest first target.
• Tap Augmented Reality icon in the upper right corner to add the image from your camera to your sky view.
• Use Night Mode to go easy on your eyes and preserve night vision when exploring the Universe.
Go deeper and beyond
• Every object you tap has an (i) next to its name, tap it to access information.
• A scale on right is the Time Machine, slide it to explore the map of the night sky of tomorrow or years ago.
• A calendar of celestial events will make sure you never miss anything interesting.
• TelRad will help you find the exact position of an object when stargazing with a telescope.
Share your experience
• Project to a big screen with no picture quality loss. Star Walk is your personal planetarium.
• Explore stunning space pictures in Picture of the Day.
• There is an entire stargazing twitter community within Star Walk - don't miss out!
Duran Duran's keyboard Nick Rhodes mentions Star Walk as his favorite app:
"With the Star Walk app, if you hold your iPod up towards the sky, you can see all the stars and constellations. It even tells you the names of all the planets. Then, if you point it towards the ground, it shows you what all the stars are in the other hemisphere. It’s brilliant, and if you’re ever somewhere with a clear sky and no light pollution, it’s a revelation. It’s beautifully designed and makes clever use of the available technology. I’m fascinated by astronomy, but even if you’re not, give this a go."
What's New in Version 7.0.3
1) It is likely that ISON is not going to be the comet of the century. Nevertheless, we decided not to remove it from the app.
2) You can now turn on Picture caching in the Star Walk Settings. When caching is ON it will download the content only once and store it on your device. However when caching is OFF it will save you some space on your device.
3) Minor adjustments in texts and tables in Info to make them more readable.
4) Chinese localization improved.
Pleasing and satisfying, but not without small issues
This app is great — very convenient, simple to use and rich in its possibilities.
But there are two reasons why am I giving it four, and not five:
1. The night mode (which well preserves the night vision — a great thing in general) has one big mistake (I want to believe so): in catalogue it leaves the images of celestial objects completely untouched. And if we consider that these can be of colossal brightness, the fact spoils a lot of pleasure from stargazing.
2. I personally would like this app to have an option to turn on H.A. Rey's constellation lines, which are extremely useful because of combining advantages of maximum correspondence of constellation images to their names and of using only real stars and, hence, — the ability to find the above-mentioned cool images in the sky. The star-attaching lines, used on this app, have no sense for me, and that's why I use them only to differentiate one constellation from another.
I am a new into astronomy and was looking for a better answer for finding my way around the vast sky. I was using paper star charts and a atlas wheel but I was never content with it or really got a complete hang of it " though I had only tried using it for a week or so". I got the idea of using an app for the job instead and started to look at what was available. Star walk HD was in my opinion going to be my best bet so I down loaded it and I could not possibly be happier. The app has everything I could have wanted and more.
I 💙 star walk
Star walk is a great app to have when you're going camping. If you're ever looking up at the stars and looking for a constellation, star walk is the app for you. No more looking at stars and not knowing their names or looking at planets and wondering what they look like up close. Star walk has all the constellations their stars and their name plus images of each planet up close. Point your device in the air to find out what star, constellation, or planet is above you. Hope u enjoy!!!!!😃🌑🌍🌙🌠
- Category: Education
- Updated: Dec 02, 2013
- Version: 7.0.3
- Size: 82.8 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Vito Technology Inc.
- © 2009-2013 Vito Technology, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.