Use your iPhone's compass and gyroscope to find planets, constellations, satellites, and more with crisp, colorful, high-definition Retina graphics that use every pixel of your iPhone or iPad! Hold the universe in your pocket!
StarMap 3D Plus is the portable star atlas for beginners or advanced astronomers. Use StarMap 3D Plus to find the planets, stars, constellations, star clusters, galaxies, and nebulae visible to you based on your location and time. StarMap 3D will even use the compass to automatically align the map!
• Real-time positions of 150 artificial satellites, including the International Space Station (ISS), and the Hubble Space Telescope
• iPad Support
• Over 100,000 stars, with detailed information for each of them
• 6,441 deep sky objects, with details such as distance from Earth, diameter, apparent size and orientation, and morphology
• All 88 modern constellations, with lines based on the outlines from "The Stars: A New Way to See Them" by H.A. Rey
• MacRobert and Classic constellation lines also available
• Location-based-services (LBS) / Global Positioning System (GPS) support, or manually enter your longitude and latitude
• Adjustable date and time of day
• Also adjust time instantaneously and interactively with the Time Scroll feature
• Compass support, if present
• Planetarium Mode for seeing only objects visible to you, or browse the entire celestial sphere
• 3D Mode for visualizing the universe in three dimensions
• Better compass & gyroscope tracking
• iMessage Stickers
• iPhone X Support
• Apple Watch Support
Ratings and Reviews
I got the free version of this app I think about 4 years ago when I was outside one evening looking at the sky trying to win a bet with my wife about the Big Dipper and Little Dipper. It doesn’t matter who won the bet!😡 Anyway it was so awesome I purchased the full version right away. Now I use it to find out when their will be meteor showers, comets, satellites or even the International Space Station. I use the reminder function so The family doesn’t miss anything cool. Not only does it remind of events, it shows you where to look for the best chance of seeing meteors, it lists all the stars, constellations and planets. Plus, when viewing comets or satellites or other moving objects it will track them so you just hold up the phone and follow. We live this app, it is super fun, so much so that the kids don’t even know they’re learning. I would recommend this to anyone. The free version is fine but the premium is definitely with the few pennies it cost.
It has everything but three glaring flaws ...
It does star colors well, properly reports B-V values and plots stars on the HR diagram, gives distance wonderfully...
What is missing must have been a bad design decision and these are:
1: decision NOT to show actual deep sky objects but have very poor low resolution standin images that are generic and don't represent the actual object at all.. case point the Orion Nebula arguably THE most important recognizable objects in the sky... NOT represented except by a very poor cluster image. Many more just like it. Not even Messier objects represented in the sky view.
2: looney tunes quality constellation art that is not representative of the classic mythology. People in mythology represented as if drawn by someone who never knew anything about the myths behind the constellations. I turn it off and will never use it now.
3: cannot change star brightness so with many stars visible or with additional database the sky looks like a color blindness test book at the eye doctors. Too much of a cartoon or coloring book look and feel yet there is this dichotomy of offering really good information couched in a less than effective presentation
Incredible Must Have
I first got this app when it was released, and used it frequently for reference and observational identification, since then it's developers have only improved upon the initial program. The intuitive user interface and array of great features makes this app a must have for anyone interested in stargazing. The educational information makes it a great gift for the little astronomer in the family.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the review and for continuing to use our app. Happy Stargazing!
- Edward Sanville
- 239.5 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010-2018 Ed Sanville and Nick Cate
- In-App Purchases
- More Stars $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.