Use your iPhone's compass and gyroscope to find planets, constellations, and more with crisp, colorful, high-definition Retina graphics that use every pixel of your iPhone! Hold the universe in your pocket!
• Try StarMap 3D Plus for iPad support, more stars, thousands of Deep Sky Objects, and original constellation artwork.
StarMap 3D is the portable star atlas for beginners or advanced astronomers. Use StarMap 3D to find the planets, stars, constellations, star clusters, galaxies, and nebulae visible to you based on your location and time. StarMap 3D will even use the compass to automatically align the map!
• Retina Display Compatibility
• Over 15,000 stars, with detailed information for each of them
• 303 deep sky objects, with details such as distance from Earth, diameter, apparent size and orientation, and morphology
• All 88 modern constellations, with lines based on the outlines from "The Stars: A New Way to See Them" by H.A. Rey
• MacRobert and Classic constellation lines also available
• Location-based-services (LBS) / Global Positioning System (GPS) support, or manually enter your longitude and latitude
• Adjustable date and time of day
• Also adjust time instantaneously and interactively with the Time Scroll feature
• Compass support, if present
• Planetarium Mode for seeing only objects visible to you, or browse the entire celestial sphere
• 3D Mode for visualizing the universe in three dimensions
• Bug fix and general improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Great and simple
Yet powerful for locating objects or events
I love this app! So much better than going to the planetarium. You point and you find. Within seconds of using it I found Jupiter. Looked up in the sky and there it is. Look through my binoculars even saw the moons. Saw many star constellations! I want to visible to us and them all over the entire universe. Works in real time. No Wi-Fi is necessary. You can go in to any date in the last 2000 years. And see how things have changed. There's three different modes. Planetary model uses your own positioning. Then you can use another mold where you can see where every location. I love the 3-D mold. Where are youcan go to any planet including the earth and the moon! And you can see everything from their perspective. Well you can rotate the planets and see the constellations and planets etc, from their perspective. Very accurate. My wife and I went outside using it recently. She loved it it made for a great conversations and intimacy.
Still in Beta
This app is useful exclusively to experienced astronomers who understand the Right Ascencion / Declanation system of finding stars. Lacking either compass bearings or coordinates based upon one's current location, it will be useless to most users. One must be familiar with the sky even to determine which way is up! Anyone who could understand this app would be better served by any of the far superior apps available.
This app blinds the user's night vision, because it does not hide the OS's status bar at the top of the screen (showing time and battery level), its controls are glaring white fields and buttons, and there is no night vision mode. An astronomy app must be usable in the dark!
The 3D feature substitutes the iPhone's pinch gesture for automated zooming at every touch of the screen, rendering control of panning unavailable until 3D is switched off.
Data about stars can not be read while names and constellation lines are visible. Constellation lines are questionably drawn. Camelopardalis is shown as a short, straight line, not stars shaped like a ghiraffe!
Excellent control for limiting the magnitude of stars shown.
Some potential with serious upgrades, but puzzling to see the enthusiasm in other reviews. Many thanks, though, to the programmer for adding to our collection of astronomy apps. Keep at it, and you may yet have a winner.
- Edward Sanville
- 65.9 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2009-2018 Ed Sanville
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.