Stars by Karelia
By Karelia Software LLC
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Rate the currently playing song in iTunes from your menu bar with a single click of the mouse. After enough songs are rated, you can use the data to create smart playlists that contains your most favorite music in iTunes.
• You can see the current song's rating with a quick glance at the menu bar.
• Stars notifies you to rate a song if it's unrated when you're 3/4th of the way through the song.
• Play/pause, next, and previous buttons to control iTunes. Option clicking the previous/next buttons skips and rewinds by 10 seconds. Holding down on the buttons will fast-forward and rewind.
• View album cover art while rating the current track.
• You can setup keyboard shortcuts to change the rating with.
• Correctly shows album ratings and half-star ratings.
• It takes up room to show the stars in the menubar only when iTunes is playing.
What's New in Version 5.0.2
Fixes a rare bug that made Stars hide the star ratings in the menu bar when iTunes is playing a folder of smart playlists with a rather large number of songs
Old favorite, not sure about future use...
This has been one of my MUST HAVE apps for the past six years. Long before the app store, long before Karelia. I *almost* still love it, but there’s a few things it can’t seem to handle yet. Apple recently switched from Stars to Hearts. Which is frustrating, but not ultimately a deal killer. Or at least it wouldn’t be, if this app would adapt.
For instance, if I’m listening to a song on Apple Music (not my own library), Stars gives me the impression that I can rate it. Indeed, I thought I’d been rating these songs for the past two weeks. It turns out that data went nowhere, and is lost. Five stars didn’t even register as a heart.
Karelia needs to update this so that, when stars are not available, a heart icon is. Clicking the heart will ‘heart’ the song in iTunes. Otherwise the app is useless for this purpose.
This is a simple app that does a few things and does them well. When iTunes is playing it shows you 5 stars in your menu bar so you can rate your songs. It also allows you to use half stars in your ratings. When iTunes is not playing, there is a single star in the Menu Bar. Click on the star (iTunes off) or stars (iTunes on) and you can get an optional drop down of the album cover with icons to click to pause, play, forward or back your song. You can also access the app’s preferences from the drop down, including notifications for unrated songs and keyboard shortcuts. This app gives me all need and nothing more. I used to use I Love Stars before Karelia bought it. I like this more. ✰✰✰✰✰
Please keep updating it. To the user that gave it a 1-star review because the developer removed a chime sound, do you really need a chime sound if you get a notification? I don't understand.
Only thing I’d change is to show the full artwork when using the “Show album cover” command. I never use the on-screen playback controls, so I’d rather just not see those on top of the art.
- Category: Music
- Updated: May 19, 2015
- Version: 5.0.2
- Size: 1.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Karelia Software LLC
- © 2014 Karelia Software LLC
Compatibility: OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor