"Start with Art!" contains the first four introductory lessons from Creativity Express. The lessons in Start With Art are designed to begin a child’s journey into the world of art, creativity, and visual learning.
• Animated Art Guides – Tickles, Furnace, and Ruby – lead children through four fun and engaging cross-curricular lessons designed to enhance your child’s critical thinking skills and unlock their creativity and problem solving capability.
• 4 Lessons: Art as a Language, Messages in Art, Line, and Shape
• 8 'Creativity Builders' art projects give children hands-on experience using knowledge from each lesson. Two projects per lesson, the topics range from creating your own language to creating model sculptures.
• A ‘Parents’ page detailed guide to each Creativity Builders project including objectives, vocabulary, materials and procedures.
• Idea Gizmo to jump-start your child’s imagination and creative thinking skills.
• Doodle Gizmo -A fun, easy-to-use drawing and painting program for your mobile device.
• Comprehensive Glossary of art terms and definitions
Creativity Express is a multi-award winning visual arts curriculum created by former Disney animators and professional educators. Each lesson features expert animation and engaging characters, followed by hands-on activities to strengthen understanding of the ideas presented.
Have your child Start With Art through these lessons:
• Art as a Language: Art is a visual language, used universally for self-expression. Learn what it means to communicate through art and follow the notable work of Leonardo da Vinci.
• Messages in Art: Artwork tells a story using emotions, feelings and pictures. Learn to ask questions when viewing art and discover the meaning of Michelangelo's illustrations on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
• Line: An important tool for artists, lines can convey direction, emotion and action. Edgar the mouse demonstrates how each of style of line can have a different meaning, and demonstrates how children can use this technique in their own artwork.
• Shape and Form: Forms are often represented with shapes. Use your knowledge about lines to create shapes. Try to identify a form by looking at its silhouette in notable artwork.
Recommended for ages 7-97
No user ID tracking
Meets the National Standards for the Visual Arts.
- Educational App Store (EAS) top 5-star certification
- Lumos Learning 5-star rating
- Tillywig 'Brain Child' Award
- Free to download with in-app purchase of lessons
- Minor tweaks and fixes
Ratings and Reviews
This app is fantastic….I can't seem to get my two kids to give me back my iPad! (or stop fighting over it, for that matter). They absolutely love it. I found this browsing the internet looking for art supplements since our local public schools have really cut back on art, and this fits the bill perfectly. Great characters (kids love em), great content (nice balance between history vs theory), very engaging, and not even remotely too complicated for my youngest at 7 years old. Much better than the art classes I vaguely remember from my schooling….which reminds me, if only they could put this in schools…hmm.
Bottom line : if you want a great piece of software for your kids to learn about art - making or history - get this app. You won't regret it.
Start With Art!
My nine year old loves it, and my five year old can still understand some very difficult ideas. The 3 characters make it easy. I have no art experience, but i know it's important for kids. As mom of two i've been looking for a way for them to learn thee things about art that i can't teach them. There's just not much out there! We tried Start With Art mostly because my kids thought it looked fun. I have to say they're right - the characters are fantastic!! Even i had a great time watching the videos. My kids talk about Leonardo da Vinci as if they'd drawn the Vitruvian man themselves [ admittedly i didn't know the name of that before either].
My niece LOVES it. Can I get my iPad back please?
My 7 year old niece is absolutely hooked on this app, and keeps coming back to me to tell me what she he's learned (she's actually educating me now!!). The animation is actually pretty stunning. Money definitely well spent (this has really kept her entertained during her visit). I can really see this being ideal for parents, whether you homeschool or not, since it provides a lasting distraction that is actually very educational! Great stuff!
- Madcap Logic, LLC
- 80 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2007-2018 Madcap Logic LLC
- In-App Purchases
- All four lessons of 'Start With Art!' $4.99
- Three Lesson Bundle $3.99
- Line $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.