The StartSOLE app gives you everything you need to bring inquiry based learning into your classroom. In the app you will find thousands of questions aligned to state standards, integrated lesson plans, tools for facilitating and reflecting in your class, and the opportunity to connect with a global community of educators.
A SOLE takes place in three parts: asking a big question, collaborating to research in groups, and then each group presenting their findings. By design SOLE requires only one internet enabled device per group and takes about 45 minutes to an hour, perfectly suited to be completed in a single class period. SOLEs focus on the process of learning and prepares learners for the future by infusing 21st century skills like critical thinking, collaboration, and communication. This concept was pioneered by Dr. Sugata Mitra, winner of the 2013 TED prize for his ‘Hole in the Wall’ Experiment. StartSOLE is designed to make this concept easy for teachers to implement anywhere, anytime.
What does this app do?
• Big Questions - Thousands of big questions aligned to state standards are available for your next SOLE, or you can submit your own big question to share with the community.
• Lesson Planning - Create a Charlotte Danielson-aligned lesson plan in minutes, delivered to your inbox
• Facilitation Tool - An easy timer and guided observation tool allows you to record key moments during your SOLE as they happen
• Guided Reflection - A brief guided reflection designed to improve your practice and provide support if needed
• Certification - Receive free continuing education units from Cleveland State University for your work with SOLE
• Tutorials - Guides & tips from other teachers, along with an introduction to the research frameworks behind SOLE.
• News feed - view SOLE sessions from around the world and connect with other SOLE educators
• Resources - Dozens of printable resources from other teachers available to use with your students: rubrics, worksheets, posters and more!
bugfixes and stability improvements
Ratings and Reviews
SOLE is a game-changer!
I cannot believe the transformation of my students! They have become gritty, thorough and creative researchers, wise and philosophical thinkers, confident presenters, and honorable audience participants- one SOLE at a time. And this app? It’s a teachers dream! It couldn’t be any easier to facilitate a lesson! Implementation and high quality documentation in seconds. The feature that projects pics and comments is just icing on the meaningful feedback cake! It literally keeps getting better because they are constantly improving it. Download this app & Start SOLE now!
Great Teaching Resource
Found out about StartSole and the app at a Professional Development day and ran a SOLE in my class 2 days later. What a fantastic strategy to get students directing learning in the classroom and the app walked me through the whole process, even through facilitation and reflection. Do yourself and your students a favor -- facilitate SOLE learning in your classroom with StartSOLE.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.