The well-known iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch notation and tab editor Stave’n’Tabs is now available on your Mac. Simple interface, fast files’ opening, smart and convenient tools let you feel the atmosphere of the majestic classical scores, dynamic rock ballads or good old jazz. Support of the main musical formats such as MIDI and MusicXML allows you to easily listen and practice your songs and compositions created earlier.
Besides, the users of the Stave'n'Tabs for iOS can now work with their SNT Projects. The easiest way to do that is to open the synced files from the iCloud directory.
Begin creating music
• Start your new score from the scratch or with one of the two dozen templates
• Get inspired by famous composers in the Library
• Listen sounding and choose instruments for your parts from the list with more than 150 items (keyboards, guitars, strings, drums, percussions, etc.)
• Connect your MIDI devices to Stave'n'Tabs
Edit scores with Smart Contextual Musical Panes
• Enter notes with intuitive instrument-independent interface, Virtual Piano Keyboard or computer keyboard
• Explore and edit your score with sophisticated Piano Roll and Drums Editor
• Modify notes with dots, tuplets and ties
• Customize clefs, key signatures and time signatures for bars
• Change dynamics
• Switch between enharmonic equivalents of the notes
• Use customizable voices
• Edit tabs with Virtual Fingerboard
• Setup tunings with the large value of presets
• Use Scientific or Helmholtz pitch notation when entering notes
• Edit tabs with keyboard
• Diminish, augment and subdivide note values
• Transpose pitches by semitones
• Make your music alive with lyrics
• Input notes by Staff Positions
• Navigate around the score with Tracks board
• Set the visibility for instrument parts in the score
• Select and customize horizontal, vertical or page layout for your score
• Find out information about the selected elements in the Status Panel at the bottom
• Save changes to PDF for Free
• Edit title and information about creators
Practice your songs
• Play the whole composition or selected fragment
• Customize metronome clicking and countdown
• Loop the playback of the desired part
• Look at the keys on the virtual Piano keyboard
• Detect non-playable objects with red highlighting
• Use "Starred scales" to determine the chromatic scales most similar to the selected area
• Adjust the semitones of the selected area notes to the chromatic scale
• Customize the chromatic scale for adjustment
Work w/ different formats *
• snt - Stave’n’Tabs project
• xml - MusicXML
• mxl - Compressed MusicXML
• midi - MIDI
• kar - Karaoke files
• gp3, gp4, gp5, gpx - Guitar Pro files
* Stave’n’Tabs PRO (in-app purchase) removes all restrictions of the free version
• Saving to any supported format
• Editing of Music XML, MIDI, Karaoke and Guitar Pro files
• No watermarking
• MusicXML and GPX files import improvements
• Stability improvements on OS X 10.11 El Capitan
• Fixed an issue where the notes of the transposing instruments were displayed on the wrong staff positions if they were entered from the virtual instruments
• Bug fixes
• Dark mode support in macOS 10.14 Mojave
• New Preferences Tab: Colors
— Changing app's appearance mode ¹
— Selecting custom color accent
• Transposing instruments support
— Saxophones (soprano, alto, tenor, baritone), clarinet, trumpet, muted trumpet, french horn, piccolo, celesta, glockenspiel
— Switching to Concert Pitch via Layout menu
— Customizing transposition in the Instrument Editor: changing concert note corresponding to written C4
• New and improved note relationships
— Picked slide
— Legato slide
— Effect slides
— Ornament slides
— Custom glissandi
• Octave signs
— 22ma, 15ma, 8va, 8vb, 15mb, 22mb
• Improved time signatures
— New templates for simple, compound and complex meters
— Showing number of beats, beat unit and first subdivision of the beat for the current time signature
— Fixed notes beaming in compound times
• Fixed an issue where the Pitches panel was shown instead of the Percussion panel
• Octave markers for octave clefs moved to the Clefs panel
• Fixed beat's number in the Status Bar
• Mouse Right-click/Control click now opens contextual menu over the whole score not just selection area
• Fixed an issue with duplicating .mxl files
• Rest at the selected position can be removed now by second click on the Rest button
• Lyrics text color corresponds to the voice's color
• MusicXML files support improvements
• Improvements of the terms used in the app
• User interface improvements
• Bug fixes
¹ Requires macOS 10.14 Mojave or later
Thanks for your feedbacks and feature requests! They really help and inspire us on our way to the perfect and simple app that could become your true friend in the wonderful world of Music.
Have a good music making w/ Stave’n’Tabs!
Ratings and Reviews
THRILLED so far!!!
I just downloaded this free app about an hour ago and am very happy with it so far! I needed to notate my guitar chords so I could remember what I wrote. This app does so much! It seems to do everything I need. Still learning about it but it is very user friendly, has text/lyrics and lots of music notation functions. Thank you! I can’t say enough. I don’t want to go through all the functions and explain how to use it but I highly recommend it. Comes with a good help guide or just click around and you can usually figure something out. Great for guitar and lead sheet writing! More of my experience to come later. Looking forward to seeing the print capabilities. I tried to print straight from the editor/project window but it printed large and off the page, however, I haven’t tried to save it to PDF and then print. I would like to know if IAmTheWalrus got his issue resolved as I have not tried to compose with a triplet yet. Also had an issue with the slur lining up just where I wanted it between two 16th notes, however, I may not be savvy with it yet (I was trying to indicate a slide from one fret to another). Seriously considering buying the extended version.
Developer Response ,
Hi! Thanks a lot for your kind review! You can change the score's pages layout for printing in the top menu > Layout > Horizontal / Vertical / Pages. As for the sounding issue with the triplets it'll be fixed in the next update. Could you, please, email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) some more information about the 'slur lining' issue so we can reply in more detail? Thank you!
So much potential, but...
I purchased the Pro version of this app. It does (or could potentially do) so many wonderful things that are exactly what I’m after, which is arranging guitar chords and lyrics along with bass tabs and notation. The problem is that I have found it absolutely tedious to use on my Mac desktop computer. I’ve been using point and click, with occasional key strokes to enter my music and it takes me way too long to do very simple parts. The interface seems to fight me every step of the way. There must be a better way, but I find that the available documentation and video instruction are as cumbersome as the app itself. Even if I manage to finish the song I’m currently working on, it is going to take twice the number of pages because I can’t seem to condense the vertical space between the parts. I hope the developers improve its ease of use, because I need something with less muscle than Logic Pro for what I’m doing, but it still needs to feel musically responsive. And please add contrast to the UI. I need to be able to see a cursor--or highlighting that stands out more than pale yellow on white—so I can see which part, beat, or bar I am working with.
Developer Response ,
Hi! Thanks for your feedback and your suggestions! We'll try to take into account your recommendations about the UI and documentation when planning future updates. Thank you!
Could be OK to Good but Mr. Korovin et al do not know enough about music
How many types of rests are in music? AS MANY AS THERE ARE NOTE LENGTHS! You offer no instructions on how to create anything but a quarter rest. Sometimes, we composers need half-rests or rest of even less length and rests tha are greater length than quarter rests. Frankly, get off the “quaver” verbiage. This is obviously no software for musicologist and they are the ones who might use such terminology. I am trying out the free version to see if I want the Pro version. You are not making a good sales pitch. I appreciate your efforts to make an affordable and actually useful piece of software and it is close to being there. Providing more clear and thorough instructions would be helpful. English not your first language? Send me you best translation and I will help you straighten it out, for a free Pro copy. Seriously. I have a BA in music and have spent my live playing, composing, and arranging.
Developer Response ,
Hi, g-tar! Thanks for your review!
Sorry that you faced to the problem with changing rest's length. You can do this in the 'Note Values' panel (which is available by tap on the first button in the right tools panel) in the same manner as for the notes. If you need more detailed explanations, please, contact us via email email@example.com.
Thank you and success in musical creativity! Stave'n'Tabs team.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.