The most realistic sky map to observe stars, planets and constellations!
Stellarium Mobile Sky Map is a fully-featured planetarium for your phone. It shows a realistic and accurate night sky map, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope.
The sensor control will help you to identify a star in just a few seconds, just by pointing the phone at the sky!
This award-winning astronomy application is finally available on iOS featuring:
• a catalog of over 600,000 stars displayed as a real time zoomable sky map
• a catalog of many nebulae and galaxies, with pictures for some of them
• asterisms and illustrations of the constellations for several sky cultures
• artificial satellites, including the International Space Station
• realistic Milky Way
• realistic landscape and atmosphere with sunrise, sunset and light pollution simulation
• accurate simulation of stars extinction, and atmosphere refraction
• 3D rendering of the major solar system planets and their satellites
• night mode (red)
• GPS positioning, accelerometers control of the direction of view in the sky
Stellarium mobile Sky Map is created by two of the original developers of Stellarium, the Desktop version of this famous astronomy and planetarium stars chart app.
- Fix a crash on iOS 12.
Ratings and Reviews
Needs an update
This app has been incredible, and I’ve been using it for years. However, the latest version of stellarium doesn’t seem to be working well with the current iOS. The coordinate box for the currently selected object has a tendency of displaying garbled information. The same is true for the date and time inputs. The problem seems to be intermittent, and simply relaunching the app fixes the bug temporarily. Unfortunately, it will re-occur after a while.
One additional issue I have with this app is that it will not display the same coordinates as the desktop version for the sun & moon. The discrepancy is usually only a couple of arc minutes, but it is curious that there’s any difference at all. It may be due to the lack of elevation inputs, or the iPad version may be using fewer periodic & secular terms to model the sun & moon, but the two platforms ought to be in agreement for the same date, time, and location.
OK but a couple MAJOR problems.
I used the app a couple nights ago and everything seemed as it should be. But tonight I was trying to look back at that night on the app and it's not the same as what it showed then. In fact it was way off. I started setting the date back one day at a time until the moonset was at the right time and the date was 3 days off.
Second problem is finding a city. THERE IS NO WAY TO SEARCH FOR A CITY. If you are trying to find a city, first you have to scroll through a list of every country in the world. So the US takes a while to get to. THEN it shows a scroll list of every city it has in that country. So scroll, scroll, scroll (looking for Sedona - the city list doesn't list a state). First time I got half way there and touched just off the list and it went away. But it didn't start where I left off. Oh no. I had to start over again only to find Sedona is not on the list. Can someone tell me in what universe does this make sense???
Just found out that this app was here. I love the desktop version of Stellarium and the mobile app is just as great. I've bought several other apps, a couple that I've spent more than $13 on in-app-purchases (they got me), but none of them felt right compared to my desktop Stellarium application. Finally I have a version that I can carry in my pocket, with the same lightweight and highly functional software as it's desktop cousin. There's a reason why Stellarium is the most popular software for astronomers people!
- Noctua Software Limited
- 40.6 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2015 Fabien Chereau et al. (GNU GPL)
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.