Are you using an embroidery machine and looking for a way to work on existing designs without paying an arm and a leg? And without requiring a Windows PC? With StitchBuddy you can organize, preview, modify, convert, and combine embroidery designs on your Mac.
• Rotate, flip, move, or delete selected parts or the entire design
• Resize selected parts or the entire design (without adjusting the stitch count)
• Copy and paste to duplicate parts, or to combine different designs
• Center a design in its hoop
• Add basting stitches to fix the underlay
• Change individual thread colors, or replace the entire palette
• Select from several different manufacturer thread charts
• Reorder threads and delete color changes
• Display options incl. zooming, 3D stitch display, or stitch structure
• Supports millimeters or inches as measurement units
• Extensive printer options including actual size templates
• Easy export of designs to USB media
• Copy designs to the clipboard or drag them to other applications as graphics or text
• Multiple levels of Undo while editing
• Convert designs between different embroidery formats
• Display embroidery files in the Finder, Mail and other apps with Quick Look support
• Search with Spotlight for embroideries based on size, number of stitches or colors
• Automator actions to convert designs, change thread palettes, and create PDF files
• iCloud Drive support
Supported import formats (read):
• Janome JEF, JEF+, JPX, SEW
• Brother PES, PEC
• Melco EXP
• Tajima DST
• Pfaff VP3, KSM, PCS, PCQ, PCD
Supported export formats (write)
• Janome JEF
• Brother PES v1.0 (130 x 180 mm), PEC
• Melco EXP
• Tajima DST
• Pfaff PCS
You can test StitchBuddy with all functions for free (saving designs is limited to 1,000 stitches). Unlock this limitation via In-App purchase if you like StitchBuddy and want to support its development ... and please share your experience with others by leaving a rating or review!
Additional information, FAQs and video tutorials can be found at StitchBuddy's website.
• Automator actions to convert design formats, change thread palette, and create PDFs
• New mode to select all stitches of one thread
• Template printouts with a second page for design details / thread colors
• Madeira Rayon colors added (#1422, #1469)
• Janome hoop ASQ18b added
Please update your rating / review to support StitchBuddy's development!
Ratings and Reviews
Perfect solution to my dilemma
StitchBuddy has been the perfect tool for me to use. I’m just getting started in the world of embroidery and, at this stage, have no need to create my own designs. What I do need, however, is a way to combine and/or modify existing designs. I also want to do that on a Mac. StitchBuddy provides exactly what I need at a reasonable cost.
Program support has been fantastic. I was attempting to combine 3 layers of appliqués and delete stitches that would be under one or more layers. What I was doing wasn’t working so I emailed the developer and got an almost immediate response. He asked for screen shots and the design file I was attempting to modify so I sent them then went to bed. When I got up this morning (Christmas Eve!) I found an email explaining why what I was attempting wasn’t working as well as the modified design file — a delightful early Christmas present.
I highly recommend StitchBuddy for combining and modifying existing embroidery designs. I felt comfortable with the GUI and was able to learn what I needed for the task at hand. Support from the developer could not be better. Thanks, Matthias and Fröhliche Weihnachten.
Need one more piece to get a 5 star rating
I check periodically to see if there is anything new on my Mac that will help me with embroidery. I have a PC that I keep just to do big lettering. I have figured out that I can buy designs and save them on my Mac which is very nice. Then I can put them on a thumb drive for the sewing machine. I can’t open them though. I can just see a thumb nail, which is Ok because I can see it.
I have a Husqvarna Ruby. The format that it uses is VP3. So today in my looking I find Stitch buddy, which was a free download…I couldn’t imagine. Well it was free and now when I click on a design it actually opens in Stitch buddy…So cool. I know I can only save up to 1000 stitiches until I pay which is also fine. then I can see if I like it.
The only problem is that I can’t save it in VP3? When will that be available. I will give it 5 stars then and probably buy the full version if it works like I hope.
Thank you for giving us an affordable emboidery software.
Developer Response ,
I’m sorry to disappoint you: Viking / Husqvarna support is a sad chapter for me (and StitchBuddy): Although I was able to decrypt VP3s enough to read these files, a lot of their internals is still unknown to me, so I can not write VP3s in StitchBuddy, and I can't see this situation to change in the foreseeable future.
Excellent! Great app and excellent support, when needed!
I purchased Stitchbuddy several years ago and it has been the best program I found to customize and adjust my downloaded embroidery designs on my macbook and transfer to my Brother LB6800 PRW. The best part is the prompt and very helpful support of this app's developer, Matthias Arndt! I somehow lost my app when I bought a new macbook and Matthias responded very quickly to my plea for help and gave me clear instructions on how to renew my license with no additional cost. So...great app and superior support!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.