By Tord Romstad
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Strong free chess program.
* Free, but much stronger than most commercial iPhone chess apps!
* Plays aggressive and dynamic chess, and is not afraid of sacrificing material for initiative or attacking chances.
* Adjustable playing strength.
* Choose between several styles of play: "Passive", "Solid", "Active", "Aggressive" or "Suicidal".
* Big, deep and varied opening book. Choose between three levels of book variety.
* Displays book moves and engine analysis, including search depth, evaluations and main lines.
* Allows you to easily set up board positions.
* Able to think during the opponent's time, for maximum playing strength (disabled by default, in order to save battery life).
* Supports saving and loading games to PGN files, sending games by e-mail, and transferring PGN files between your device and your computer.
* Play against the machine, or play both sides, with or without book moves and engine analysis displayed on the screen.
* Choose from nine piece sets and eight color schemes.
* Complete source code available under the GNU General Public License.
What's New in Version 2.13.0
Fixed a bug that caused the target area for the toolbar buttons to be shifted a few pixels up, making it difficult for some users to hit the buttons reliably.
Fixed broken move lists (not the one below the board, but the one that appears after tapping "Move" and "Move List" -- does anybody use this one?) on the new larger iPhones.
Great App but missing split view
Why in all these years have you not enabled like local split view...so two people can play each other on the same device and both see the board facing them??? Currently you can only have 1 view and have to press flip then pass the device. We prefer an iPad and playing across a table and each being able to see but one person always has to view the pieces upside down. Seems obvious to enable a split view.
Game stopping bug
I've been using this Stockfish app for awhile and had no problems until I've created my own PGN game list by saving a game into it. It contains only one game. Every time I try to open the PGN file the app crashes. Upon repeat attempts the moment I press "load game" the app crashes. I see the list of included games and the two PGN folders I've created. But it's just visible for a split second then CRASH. I restarted the app. But it still crashes every time I try to open the PGN. Now I cannot open the game to copy the PGN.
Please fix this and update the app.
Add Variations and Annotations
I have just about every chess app paid and free in the App Store and this is by far my favorite, and it is free! For me, an 1800, player this app is able to do 90% of everything I would want. Playing strength and opening book are amazing but it would be nice to enter variations without the entire game being overwritten. Also, I would like the option to write annotations in when going over my games. Adding those two features would turn this great app into an amazing app. Any chess tournament player should have this app it is very useful and by far the best chess app in the App Store.
p.s. I use this app every day and I have never had any bug problems (on iPad).
- Category: Games
- Updated: Oct 29, 2014
- Version: 2.13.0
- Size: 39.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Tord Romstad
- © 2009-2014 Tord Romstad, Marco Costalba, Joona Kiiski
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.