By Weather Underground, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Keep your eye on the sky with Storm Radar by Weather Underground. High definition radar, advanced storm cell tracking, severe weather outlooks and real-time severe weather alerts make this the best app to have by your side when weather is closing in. View current conditions, daily or hourly forecasts at a glance and in a more detailed view. Now available free for iPhone and iPad!
• Radar: The highest resolution (250m) radar showing interactive animations for past and future data
• Single site sweeping radar: get near real-time data from each radar site. Choose the radar site nearest your current location and view real-time reports on reflectivity and velocity.
• Global Radar: An experimental radar layer with worldwide coverage. It combines existing radar data with a computer model proxy when data is not available.
• Storm Tracks: Storm Tracks utilize the most advanced severe weather algorithms to provide a detailed analysis of an impending storm. This includes a storm strength rating, detailed components of the storm (such as wind, hail, lightning, and tornadoes), the speed and direction of the storm, populated cities in its path, the precipitation rate, and much more.
• Severe Outlooks: See the overall severe weather threat for the next 3 days with details available by tapping on any risk level visible on the map.
• Lightning: View lightning 100 miles around your selected location (Continental US only)
• More: Full screen map with customizable data layers including: animated surface and jet stream level winds, earthquakes, fronts, tropical data, severe weather alerts, and more
Experience Storm Radar on your Apple Watch! Configure the Glance view directly on your Watch to view the weather data most important to you. View real-time alerts for precipitation, lightning and severe weather. Access Storm Radar data through Apple Watch Complications.
WIDGETS, ALERTS, & MORE!
• Push notifications for precipitation, lightning (within a customizable radius) and detailed NOAA and Environment Canada severe weather alerts.
• In-App alerts for precipitation, lightning and weather alerts from the NOAA, Environment Canada, MeteoAlarm and The Weather Companies
• Hyper-local weather data powered by Weather Underground's network of over 250,000 personal weather stations
• Tap on current conditions, daily or hourly forecasts to view more detailed weather data in list or graph view
• Social weather: share storm tracking and radar data with your friends and family via text message, email, Facebook, or Twitter
• Today widget for iOS 10 or higher showing real-time alerts for lightning, precipitation, and severe weather
• Available for iPhone and iPad
** Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 1.9.9
How the mighty have fallen
This has always been my go-to app for weather. I'm a weather nut and live in tornado alley. Storm is great with its detailed data and functions only a weather geek would get. But lately (in the last year or so) the system has been failing in terms of current data. I live in a rural area and having near-real-time radar and alert data is paramount. This last rash of storms proved the radar data consistently 5 minutes behind. The refreshed "current" radar data would be at least 5 minutes behind my current local time. In that 5 minutes a strong squall line pushed through my area and was finished before the radar even showed the system encroaching my location. What if a tornado had been embedded within that system? 5 minutes may seem small but a lot can happen. That's unacceptable. So Storm, formally Intellicast, With a heavy heart I move on, deleting you from my devices and onto potentially better and greener pastures. My hope is that y'all pull it together and come out with an update that refreshes data AT LEAST as quickly as you had in the past, but more frequently would be better. I'll keep an ear out.
Excellent weather information!
Storm sends me notifications when precipitation or lightning is detected near my location. I also get hazard warnings like wind advisories and flash flood warnings.
Where it really shines though is in the display of weather data. You can add and remove layer upon layer of weather data until you get the perfect display for your needs. As a bicyclist, I love having the surface winds layer available so I can see (graphically) the prevailing direction and rough temperature of the winds both where I am and where I'm headed. Things are a lot less linear than I had Imagined!
I have several weather apps but when I really want to see what's going on, this is the one I open. My wife saw me looking at the screen during a thunderstorm awhile back and wanted to know what app it was. Now she uses it as well.
I can't pay to remove ads anymore? What?!
This was my favorite weather app until I it started to force me to be advertised to. I don't use it anymore. I will start using it again if they rethink their decision, until that happens, 1 star reviews with every update. ( There used to be an ad-free subscription )
Previously I gave this app 5 stars and this was my review:
The future radar is Great! The app is capable of sending you a push notification when rain or lightning is nearby or if a weather alert for your location has been issued. That is a nice feature. The sweeping radar is awesome and the daily and hourly forecast graphs really help you to visualize the future weather conditions. The app doesn't stop there though. Not even close. It has every feature I could ask of any weather app. Personal weather stations, pressure fronts, EWSD data, lightning strikes, wind stream, earthquakes, tropical tracks and models, marine weather and forecasts, tides... I'm sure I forgot 5 or 10 other things. THIS APP IS THE BEST!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Feb 28, 2017
- Version: 1.9.9
- Size: 93.3 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Weather Underground, LLC
- Copyright © 2011-2015 Weather Underground. All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.