News Channel 8 and Storm Team 8 are proud to introduce Max Defender 8, a new, interactive local weather app for all of Tampa Bay. The world’s most powerful radar is now in the palm of your hand. Whether you live in Tampa, St. Petersburg, Sarasota, Clearwater, Lakeland or New Port Richey, Mac Defender 8 will keep you and your family safe.
• Locations for forecast data/map data and Safety Net alerts are now all handled in a centralized location.
• The user’s selected locations are now consistent across forecasts and alerts, and don’t need to be managed independently.
• Safety Net alerts are now toggled on for the user’s location upon app install. New locations added also have Safety Net alerts automatically turned on.
• Users can now choose whether to receive alerts from each separate location.
• When a user clicks an alert notification, they are now taken to the map page showing the last viewed data product for that alert location.
• A new 7-day forecast includes a written forecast for both day and night time.
Ratings and Reviews
New max defender weather App.
I have used your weather app for years till this latest version which really doesn’t deserve even a one star. I think it’s time you either returned to the previous one which was the best coupled with the new radar.
I am a retired NWA Pilot with 29 years of staring at Radars and until this new version you had a weather APP that was really good easy to use and second to none. I do not use it anymore I check once a week to see if you have finally admitted to your mistake and returned to the old one.
The old saying don’t tamper with success certainly applies here. The amazing thing is surely somebody has looked at the reviews and if so why hasn’t something been done. All the weather people keep applauding the app how can that be.
I now use Storm Radar which has at this point a great radar.
You know making a mistake is one thing not correcting it is the real mistake and I can’t believe you continue to use this terrible new version. Go back to the old trusted version that put you number 1 across the Bay Area and Florida.
Not Broke Don’t Fix
I really do not like this new weather app at all. Its predecessor was clean and uncluttered. When you paused it, it had the yellow squares for high wind, the blue diamonds for hail, the green circles for strong thunderstorms and lightning, and the red triangles for tornados. I loved those icons because you tapped on them and there was important information. If those things still exist in this new app, then someone is going to have to show me where, because I can’t find anything in this new one. I wished they would have just left well enough alone and kept the prior app. Thank goodness that the Sky Tower 13 weather app still uses the old format. I absolutely love it. As of today I have totally switched to Fox’s Sky Tower 13.
Thanks for keeping my family safe!
We have used many weather alert apps to find what works best for our family. Of all the paid, subscription and free apps we have tried, WFLA's alerts are the fastest and most reliable. When one lives in the lightning capital, this is an invaluable tool to help keep you and your loved ones safe.
Thanks to Storm Team 8 for proving once again that you're on our side!
- LIN Television Corporation
- 91.6 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. | All Rights Reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.