Storyist is a powerful writing environment that lets you create, review, and revise your work wherever inspiration strikes.
“If I could have only one screenwriting app on my iPad, Storyist would be it.” – Taz Goldstein, Hand Held Hollywood.
“I'm currently traveling in Europe and am just now putting the finishing touches on the book that will be published in September. I'm using the Storyist app for my iPad Mini and it's sensational... a real godsend.” – Michael Brandman, Bestselling Author.
With Storyist, you can:
• Produce submission-ready manuscripts and screenplays. Storyist provides a rich text editor with support for comments, images, headers, footers, and style sheets so you can create properly formatted manuscripts and screenplays. And Storyist comes with manuscript and screenplay templates so you can focus on the writing, not the formatting.
• Work with your story at a high-level. Storyist lets you sketch out a story using index cards and then refine it with customizable plot, character, and setting sheets. When you're ready to put words on the page, Storyist can even display your index cards next to your manuscript as you write.
• Review and revise on the go. Have a few minutes? Open Storyist and jot down a note, rewrite a few paragraphs, or annotate your manuscript with ideas for future changes.
• Keep all your writing organized and accessible. Storyist organizes your novel manuscripts, screenplays, notes, and other project-related writing so you can access them with just a few taps. And the Files app support lets you store your projects where you want and edit them in place.
Features at a Glance
• Rich text editor with support for fonts, colors, comments, images, headers, footers, and style sheets.
• Files interface with the ability to collaborate with other writers, browse version history, and sync with your favorite cloud storage service.
• Automatic manuscript and screenplay formatting with familiar tab and return key shortcuts.
• Color-coded index cards.
• Customizable story sheets.
• Easy import and export of text and images.
• Support for Storyist for Mac, RTF, Plain Text, Fountain, and Final Draft FDX files.
• Ability to export text files as PDF.
• Wireless printing with AirPrint.
• Courier Prime font for screenplays.
Ratings and Reviews
Cannot Open File
I bought/Downloaded the newest Storyist version on both mac/iOS. I have not had much time with it yet, but whenever I tried to open up a short piece I created to experiment with it on the IOS, Storyist 4 just crashes and shuts down. I am on an iPad Pro 10.5. I will not even let me create a new project, but just shuts down. Hmmm...
Developer Response ,
Hi Angrysocialist, Please send a quick email to email@example.com with the details so we can look into it. It would be helpful to know what version of iOS you're running, what cloud storage service you're using, and what else is running on the device when this happens.
The “ ‘ # of the extended keyboard in Storyist 3 are gone in Storyist 4? Have made a major use of them in dialog for short stories. (Purchased the upgrade because it’s my writing app.) Please bring them back.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your support, Rico V. Starting in iOS 11, the " ' and # keys are located on the main keyboard. You can type them with a press-and-flick gesture. I understand that some people don't like the iOS 11 key flick feature and have turned it off. We'd love to learn more about what you need from Storyist at the support email address, or even better, in the Storyist forums. Please stop by when you get a chance.
Pay to upgrade? Have to say no.
You shouldn’t claim something is free and make people pay to upgrade. I’m sticking with the previous version, even if it isn’t updated anymore, because I don’t have to pay money for basic features. Let me know when it’s no longer pay-to-play.
Developer Response ,
Hi Reader1718, You're welcome to keep using Storyist 3, especially if the new features don't appeal to you. While it won't receive updates, it's still supported, and we'd be happy to answer questions at the support address and in the forums. I hope you'll check in from time to time to see what's new. If you are interested in upgrading at some point, please know that upgrade pricing is available. Storyist has been in the App Store since 2011, and we're grateful to our long-time users for their support over the years.
- Storyist Software
- 21.3 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Storyist Software LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Free Trial Free
- Storyist 4 Upgrade $9.99
- Storyist 4 $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.