Storyist is a powerful writing environment for novelists and screenwriters.
“I have now written three novels using Storyist and it has proven itself invaluable to me.” – Michael Brandman, Bestselling Author.
With Storyist, you can:
• Produce submission-ready manuscripts and screenplays. Storyist provides a rich text editor with support for comments, images, headers, footers, and style sheets so you can create properly formatted manuscripts and screenplays. And Storyist comes with manuscript and screenplay templates so you can focus on the writing, not the formatting.
• Work with your story at a high-level. Storyist lets you sketch out a story using index cards and then refine it with customizable plot, character, and setting sheets.
• Keep all your writing organized and accessible. Storyist organizes your novel manuscripts, screenplays, notes, and other project-related writing so you can access them with just a few clicks.
• Create ePub and Kindle editions of your work.
Features at a Glance
• Word processor with support comments, images, headers, footers, and style sheets.
• Automatic manuscript and screenplay formatting with familiar tab and return key shortcuts.
• Virtual cork board with support for color-coded index cards.
• Customizable story sheets.
• Imports and exports RTF, Plain Text, Word, Scrivener, Fountain, and Final Draft FDX files.
• Exports ePub, Kindle, and PDF.
• Works great with Storyist for iOS, so you can create, review, and revise your work wherever inspiration strikes.
* Fixes a crash that occurred in certain circumstances when opening Apple Help on macOS High Sierra.
* Fixes an issue with incremental find that occurred on Sierra 10.12.5 and 10.12.6.
* Importing a table of contents from PDF books now imports the complete table rather than the just the template.
Ratings and Reviews
Has Potential, Needs Work
The features of this app seemed great- different outline formats, side-by-side views, etc, but the actual functionality of the app is not the best. It constantly stalls during navigation to menus and within the various tabs. It runs slowly, and I would like to see a fix for the following problem: I constructed an outline, then opened up the side-by-side viewer so I could work with the manuscript and the outline next to each other. I have chapters in another Storyist project, and when I tried to copy and paste these specific sections into my new project with the outline, the text wipes out what I wrote in the outline. This may be a user error, and if so, my apologies, however, I've made several attempts, and the only way I've found to accomplish copy and pasting a section in is to create an untitled section in the outline. Otherwise, all of my notes and comments are lost when I paste.
I like the look of the processor, and the focus view is great.
Great, flexible writing app
Storyist is a great and very flexible writing app. It hits a sweet spot between being capable enough to provide a rich writing environment (that incorporates visual as well as written elements), while not being as complicted as some other good writing apps (that take a serious time investment to get to work properly). Plus, it syncs with it’s full-featureed iOS app. Highly recommended.
Excellent novel formatting.
I love the pre-foratted novel style. Easy to get started and manage chapters. I tried IA writer and Ullysus, each is difficult to format. One problem however, when converting a copy to WORD or PDF for submitting to a publisher there are some difficulties. Converting to WORD, the formatting changes, page numbering disappears and just too many convoluted steps to converting to PDF.
Needs an automatic way to create a PDF file.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.