The Strange & Wonderful World of Ants
By Amos Latteier
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Explore the amazing world of the ants! The Strange & Wonderful World of Ants is a beautifully designed, educational, and quirky children's iPad App. Its adjustable reading level making it appealing to a wide range of children and adults.
Readers can increase the reading level for more detail and challenging vocabulary, or dial it down for easier reading. The app features beautiful, detailed illustrations and subtle animation. Follow E.O. the Ant, your interactive tour guide, as she races about the screen giving an ant's point of view. The app offers science education with humor and spirit. It's perfect for young scientists six and older. Younger readers can enjoy it with a parent.
• Dynamically adjustable reading level. Appropriate for readers aged 6-12. Younger readers can enjoy the app with a parent.
• Gorgeous design. Stunning illustrations and interactive animations.
• Educational science content. Makes it fun to learn about the weird and inspiring world of the ants.
Featured by Apple on the iTunes home page.
Amos Latteier is a member of Moms with Apps, a collaborative group of family-friendly developers seeking to promote quality apps for kids and families.
Recommended Ages: all
Categories: Science, Book
What's New in Version 2.0
• Added optional spoken narration for beginner reading level
• Added optional background music
• Added glossary
• Added questions for discussion
• Added ant website and book links
• Added acknowledgements
• Added start over button on the last page
• Added a new page about doorkeeper ants
• Edited text for clarity, typos, and improved reading level
• Improved layout to make text easier to read on some pages
• New icon
• Now requires iOS 4.2 (or greater)
• EO now comes to you when you tap the screen
• EO's comments are now tailored to the reading level
• Improved image quality (especially noticeable in highly enlarged images such as the ant on the child's toe)
• Improved memory usage
• Improved feedback and navigation instructions
World of Ants
I purchased largely based on the review by Digital Storybook. They raved about how "awesome" this interactive book app was and stated "Wow, how did they do that". So naturally I was expecting to be blown away. I was very disappointed. The only interactive function I could find was an ant that followed your finger tap. Really? I had to go back and make sure I had downloaded it he right app. The varying reading levels was a bit innovative, hence the two star rating.
Narration is dry and boring and sound quality hints of a "do it yourself" effort. And this made the list of Best ebooks of 2011 for kids. I'll think twice before buying another app reviewed by Digital Storybooks. Best to go with the "try before you buy" lite versions.
I have always loved ants! From their persistence to their industriousness, I cannot get enough of ants! This app brings to light the latest scientific discovery of the world of ants in a charming way! For some of the reviewers who see the ant facts in this app as being political is beyond me. As if ants sit around all day watching C-SPAN. But above all, I would like to see a more in-depth exploration of the ant world in a similar format, yet expanded and improved upon.
Great book for multi-ages
Since you can adjust the reading level, this great book is accessible for younger and older children. The animated ant coupled with the wonderful illustrations are fantastic. Best of all children will be intrigued by the science. The glossary keeps the vocabulary within the reach of kids through upper elementary. Although I bet parents will love the ant facts as well.