The powerful plain text and source editor. Now free and open source.
The app that started the collaborative editing revolution is back. Write articles, code, notes or meeting minutes with friends – wherever they are. Ideal for extreme programming sessions.
SubEthaEdit kickstarted collaborative editing with its easy and immediate way to connect and edit. Just add your co-workers to the document and start typing. No complicated setup, browser or Internet required.
2003 Apple Design Award Winner.
• Extensible architecture for custom modes for your favorite language or format
• Regular expression search and replace
• Extensive support for converting and reading text-encodings
• Bracket matching
• Code folding
• Autocomplete based on your content
• Word counter, invisible characters
• Collaboration over the Internet or the local network
• Read-only mode for network documents
• Public and private network documents
Now free and open source! The ideal tool for education, pair programming and tutoring and all your plain text editing needs.
• Support for Mojave Dark Appearance
• Overall facelift
• In bundle distribution of see command line tool and authentication script
Bug fixes and maintenance:
• Improved performance
• Improved reliability of see tool
• Fixed an issue where "Open Terminal Here" did not work reliably.
Ratings and Reviews
Awesome new update!
Great to see SubEthaEdit back in full effect!
The last version was the first I paid for
I own a license to the previous version of SubEthaEdit; it was a great editor. When I used it, having one file per window was the way to go as most of the work I did was live-edited on a development server. Things have changed alot since then and now I’m used to being able to open an entire project within my editor and quickly change between files; this is one of the major features that SubEthaEdit is missing.
The overall application doesn’t really look like anything of significance has changed since the previous version. I can’t really use any of the great themes that have come out in recent years (like solarized) and changing the editing fonts doesn’t quite work right.
It may be able to collaborate just fine, but if it doesn’t excel at editing alone, it’s really hard to justify the expense. This is especially true since I need my team members and friends to also use the same editor for the colloborative editing to work at all.
I would return this if I could and if I could have downloaded a demo I never would have purchased this to begin with. I expected just a little bit more to be worth the price.
Single Purpose Tool
If you are looking for a text editor with very few bells and whistles, this is it. I live in a world where I regulary use three text editors and this is one of them. I have used SubEthaEdit since the time it was “free” and have paid for it a couple of times now. I do not use it for collboration, I use its Block Edit functionality. I can honestly say that the time this one feature has saved me over the years is well worth the money I spent. My one complaint about this product is the lack of documentation. I am sure that there are gems hidden under the covers, but frankly the documentation is non-existent.
- Dominik Wagner
- 20.9 MB
- Developer Tools
- OS X 10.11 or later, 64-bit processor
- English, German
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © Lone Monkey Productions, Dominik Wagner
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.