The powerful plain text and source editor. Now free and open source.
The app that started the collaborative editing revolution is back. Write articles, code, notes or meeting minutes with friends – wherever they are. Ideal for extreme programming sessions.
SubEthaEdit kickstarted collaborative editing with its easy and immediate way to connect and edit. Just add your co-workers to the document and start typing. No complicated setup, browser or Internet required.
2003 Apple Design Award Winner.
• Extensible architecture for custom modes for your favorite language or format
• Regular expression search and replace
• Extensive support for converting and reading text-encodings
• Bracket matching
• Code folding
• Autocomplete based on your content
• Word counter, invisible characters
• Collaboration over the Internet or the local network
• Read-only mode for network documents
• Public and private network documents
Bug fixes and maintenance:
• Fixed performance issue that caused SubEthaEdit to get slower and more CPU intensive with every additional window
• Fixed an issue with the line number bar overlapping the text on scroll when line wrapping was turned off
• Fixed an issue where the initial character width value when turning on line wrap was wrong
• Fixed small memory leaks
• Fixed an issue with the command line install helper and case sensitive file systems
• Removed superfluous logging
• Markdown – improved the symbol navigation
Ratings and Reviews
The best text editor ever!
Ever since I've had a mac, I've used this app. Hands down, best text editor. Also, support is outstanding.
Crashes within moments of trying to open. I'll change my review If there is an update that fixes the problems I'm having with it. I'll also consider changing the review if I can just figure out what is making it crash.
Single Purpose Tool
If you are looking for a text editor with very few bells and whistles, this is it. I live in a world where I regulary use three text editors and this is one of them. I have used SubEthaEdit since the time it was “free” and have paid for it a couple of times now. I do not use it for collboration, I use its Block Edit functionality. I can honestly say that the time this one feature has saved me over the years is well worth the money I spent. My one complaint about this product is the lack of documentation. I am sure that there are gems hidden under the covers, but frankly the documentation is non-existent.
- Dominik Wagner
- 21 MB
- Developer Tools
OS X 10.11 or later, 64-bit processor
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © Lone Monkey Productions, Dominik Wagner
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.