Even better than killer sudoku on paper!
Killer sudoku is a popular variation on classic sudoku puzzles. To complete a puzzle you must fill the board with numbers that obey traditional sudoku rules AND make each outlined region sum to a specific value. The grid begins blank, but these rules give you all the information you need to solve the puzzle!
Solving a killer sudoku puzzle requires a lot of notes, so we worked hard to make the note entry features in this app perfect. A dedicated note keypad and the ability to select multiple squares makes entering notes fast. You can even make combination lists that float above the puzzle and can be rearranged on the screen!
Our interface is so good, you may prefer it to doing puzzles on paper.
- Dual keypads -- no tedious toggling between note and answer mode
- Autosave -- switch puzzles at any time without losing your work
- Multi-square note entry -- a huge timesaver
- Combination lists -- can be rearranged on the screen for easy comparison
- Puzzle gallery -- scroll through puzzles and see your progress instantly
- Quick sum button -- add all selected sum labels instantly
- Quick combination list button -- list combinations fast by dragging over the desired region
- Built-in mini calculator -- do even long sums easily
- Undo & redo buttons -- step back through your changes to fix a mistake
- Mistake highlighting option -- don't let mistyped entries from set you back
- Auto note feature -- automatically remove eliminated notes when you enter an answer
- Two color schemes -- a neutral newspaper color scheme and a rainbow color scheme
- Comes with 10 free puzzles for testing, and over 3,000 puzzles available for purchase
We made this app free so that you can test it without having to buy anything. It comes with ten free killer sudoku puzzles--two puzzles in each of the five levels. There are also more than three thousand puzzles available to purchase, but the ten free puzzles might just keep you busy for a long time :)
All our killer sudoku puzzles have a unique solution.
Bug fixes for auto note.
New in the last version, in case you missed it:
- Cross out combinations from a combination list: just tap to cross out, and tap again to undo
- New auto note feature: automatically removes eliminated notes when you enter an answer
- No timer option: hides the timer and removes your finish times from the puzzle list
- Bonus #160 no longer crashes. Thanks to the users who emailed about this!
I am really excited about the new features in this version! In particular, crossing off combinations from a list is extremely handy. I find the auto note feature a bit TOO useful sometimes, but for the harder puzzles it's a great way to remove some of the busywork so you can focus on the more complicated strategy. The new auto note and timer options can be found by pressing the button with a light bulb on it.
I hope you guys enjoy the update, and thanks again to everyone who sent feedback! Happy Puzzling --Sarah
Ratings and Reviews
Great design, fun game
Love the update! Being able to cross out combinations saves me reaching for the back of an envelope to take my own notes on the harder impossible games. Auto notes make it a somewhat different game; I think I'll like trading off to play some games with them on and some with them off.
(Update: I've discovered I usually fat-finger too many wrong numbers for auto notes to work for me - it's too hard to figure out where to add back notes that were removed due to a mistaken entry. But I definitely enjoyed trying it for a while.)
The dual keypads are awesome, I wish more apps would use them. The layout and controls are easy to see and to use. Nice tools, too. Absolutely favorite feature is being able to drag your finger to select many squares together to make changes one time.
A comment about some requests to automatically order notes in numerical order. Sometimes I too wish for this. Most of the time I'm grateful that the most recent additions are at the end, so I can see where a number got added because it was easier to select many cells and then delete the few I didn't want. A useful in-between option could be a button to reorder the notes only when I choose to.
...once again deleting the app just so I can start over from the beginning. Still a favorite. Always ready for new packs! (Really. Please?)
Still Enjoying It -- Fantastic Support!
This is an update to my earlier review. In my experience this is he best killer sudoku app for iOS. Is still love it if the app would generate puzzles, but other than that it’s ideal.
The double keyboard and drag-select make entry very quick. I'd like it better if it would generate puzzles. They've added color-coding the groups since my last review, and that helps a lot --thanks!
The support is very good as well. An earlier update broke the "9" button on the iPad. I sent an error report by email, and within a day (over a weekend!) I received a very polite response and the information that the fix for the problem had already been submitted to Apple. This is a top-notch product and I don't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a good implementation of killer sudoku puzzles. The update was available soon after, and fixed the problem.
Decent graphically, but needs tweaking
First, of the Killer Sodoku's I've found in the App Store, this one seems to be the best. However, its interface needs work.
I compare this to the ease of the app Sudoku Joy (which unfortunately lacks a 'killer' play style), where instead of two numeric pads, there is one, with a button on the side to switch between pencil and pen. Also, having to select each square and pencil mark repeatedly is tedious; locking in the number you're working with and then tapping on the squares to quickly add or remove marks would be ideal and much, much faster.
The possibilities calculator is a fantastic tool. I don't understand the 'notes' section; further explanation (or even examples) would be ideal. Finally, when hitting for a [HINT], instead of just filling in a box, explaining why, or what we could look for would be best - again, an option Sudoku Joy does SO well, teaching as we go.
- Sarah Pierce
- 20.9 MB
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Megafauna software
- In-App Purchases
- Mega puzzle pack $4.99
- Mega puzzle pack 2 $4.99
- Easy puzzle pack #1 $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.