When does the June solstice occur? Find out with this app! Even get a notification when it occurs. Get a notification when the sun sets. Waiting for full moon? Get notified when it occurs.
Point your iPhone to the sky and explore the movement of the sun, moon, planets and stars across the sky while you change time by swiping the display. You can even change your location -- wondering how the sky looks where there's midnight sun? Or try setting your location to the other side of the equator and watch the sky rotating in the opposite direction.
Even watch through your phones camera, by toggling the AR-button.
••• You need this app -- get it now! •••
Watch the movements of the sun, the moon, the planets and stars in the sky for any time and from any position on the earth.
• Predict the positions of the sun and the moon for any time for any position on the Earth.
• Sunrise, sunset for any given date - just swipe the sky view. Click on date or clock symbol to go back to current time. In the Sun tab, scroll through the days and notice the the sunrise and sunset times changing.
• Click on map symbol to choose a new location on a map.
• Moonrise, moonset for any given date.
• Today widget for quick view
• By swiping the sky view, you change the time and date and the app shows the position of sun and the moon, moon phase, next new or full moon after the chosen date, and how much the daytime has increased since last solstice (December & June) and since Yesterday.
• Swipe fast (fast forward/rewind in time) by using two or three fingers.
• Tap on the info text to hide it for better view.
• Pinch or tap to zoom
• A today widget gives fast access to the essential data about sun and moon, including a red arrow pointing in its direction. Excellent when you only need a quick glance at when the sun sets and it gets dark
• Notifications notify you of sunset, sunrise, new moon, full moon, solstice, equinox (the sun passes equator and day and night have nearly equal length), and these can be turned on or off. Sunset notification can be sent 30 minutes before sunset.
• Choose in Settings which notifications you would like and which you would like to turn off.
• No unsolicited notifications! Only notifications related to sunsets, solstices, equinox etc.
• Share to friends and involve them in the fascinating world of Sun and Moon watching.
• You can change between Sky View and Space View, where each cellestial body's position in space is carefully and correctly calculated, however distance and sizes of sun and moon have been resized to make them visible.
The moon phase text field shows the moon's illumination, and if the moon is in the Earth's shadow it changes to Lunar Eclipse (0-100 %), and if the moon covers the sun for your position, the text changes to Solar Eclipse (0-100 %.)
See how sunrise and sunset times differ for various places and dates.
It will work outside network coverage, and in flight mode, however showing your location as an address requires internet connection. With no internet, timezones are off, so if you simulate the sky from another location on Earth, the times are your local time.
Don't forget to leave a review, to help others find this fantastic app!
And remember, never look directly at the real sun. Have fun using the app!
Disclaimer. This app calculates the sun and moon positions very accurately with an error margin of up to only 0.03°, which is good in most cases, however, always refer to table values for most accurate calculations of solar eclipse and the like, since they require more powerful calculations.
Ratings and Reviews
Very nice app; great to find planets in your iPhone; easy to use and accurate.
Farmers best friend
Anyone in agriculture is always aware of the weather, and has to know when the sun is coming up and going down. This app and the moon faces which is very helpful for a grower who relies on moon phases for planting and harvesting them. An essential tool for making a good living
Thank you for your comment. A new version has just been released with fixes/improvements to background calculations of notifications (of sunrise/sunset/full moon etc.), so they continue working also after the phone has been turned off.
Nice app. Graphics to be improved
The sun image is unstable in the enlarged view. I wanted to contact developer directly but couldn't find the info.
On non-enlarged view, sun graphic still shows it well above horizon more than 10 minutes past sunset.
Hi JayL818, thanks for your review. The sun graphics has been fixed, and you can now contact the developer directly from the app. The sun, moon, and planets are still enlarged to make them easier to find in the sky. Less so when you zoom in.
- Henning Poulsen
- 62 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Bengali, Danish, Dutch, Faeroese, French, German, Hindi, Japanese, Norwegian Bokmål, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Henning Poulsen
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.