Provides a flat compass view and an augmented reality 3-D view showing the solar path, its hour intervals, its equinox, winter and summer solstice paths, rise and set times, twilight times, magic hours and more and a map view showing solar direction for each daylight hour. Also includes sun-event device notifications plus a widget showing today's solar data and position on arc.
Featured in numerous high-profile blogs, websites, and publications, including Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Sydney Morning Herald etc. "Truly amazing", "Incredible", "Brilliant" - the most genuinely useful application of augmented reality - ever!
▶ Photographers - for planning optimal light conditions, sunrise/sunset directions, golden and blue hour times
▶ Cinematographers - to find exact sun exposure, directions and times for any location
▶ Real Estate Buyers - to find the sun exposure of properties you are considering
▶ Drivers - find how long your car will remain in the shade at any given parking spot
▶ Campers and Picnickers - for finding where to camp, sit, pitch an umbrella
▶ Gardeners - for finding optimal planting locations and seasonal sunlight hours
▶ Architects - for visualising the spatial variability of the solar angle throughout the year
▶ All Sun Lovers! To find the sun, even when it is hidden by clouds or walls
* Uses GPS, magnetometer and gyroscope to find the correct solar position and path for your current location
* Flat compass view showing current solar position, diurnal solar angle and elevation (separated into day & night segments), shadow length ratio, atmospheric path thickness
* 3D augmented reality camera overlay view showing the sun's current position, its path with hour points marked
* Camera view also has an optional pointer to guide you towards the current location of the sun
* Map view showing solar direction arrows and elevations for each hour of the day
* Ability to choose any date and view solar path for that day
* Ability to choose any location on earth (includes 40,000+ cities or custom locations)
* Additional details including rise, set and culmination times, maximum elevation, civil, nautical and astronomical twilight times
* Optional device notifications for all manner of sun-related periods and events, such as golden or blue hours, various twilight periods, or sun at a given compass heading or above a given elevation.
* User option to include summer and winter solstice paths on both flat compass view and camera view
Videos, videos, videos
* Check out our YouTube video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ENGG6Drww
* Search YouTube for "Sun Seeker app" for many other videos, websites and blogs created by enthusiastic users
* See http://www.ozpda.com/sunseeker/faqs.html - also easily accessible from the app's info screen
* IMPORTANT - Please ensure that Settings / Location Services / System Settings / Compass Calibration is switched ON. The app's 3D view cannot work without it!
* The compass accuracy depends on having an undistorted magnetic field around your device. If you use it close to metallic objects or electrical equipment, directional accuracy may be impaired.
* Ensures that any prompts for app rating are infrequent at most.
Sorry to anyone who felt "bugged" by prompts. This was unintentional, as I had wrongly believed that iOS's built-in rate limiting would have prevented repeated requests, although it seems that some new app users were seeing up to the maximum of three annual requests in rapid succession. Also note that users can disable all app rating requests globally via device Settings if they wish, to avoid ratings prompts in general.
Ratings and Reviews
Killer App for Kanarraville
I recently purchased and installed this app on a 3Gs running the updated iOs without mishap. Last weekend, our group of five went to Utah for the annular solar eclipse on 20 May 2012. In Kanarraville, Utah, this app enabled me to accurately predict where the Sun would set. I accomplished this feat without practice and with an unfamiliar horizon. Bravo!
This app is still going strong for me. Sun Seeker is a valuable tool for astrophotographers. I use this app often and it is unsurpassed for plotting and framing solar eclipse photographs.
SS is getting better as time passes. This augmented reality (AR) app is always great but it a key part of my eclipse observing toolkit. I used it again last summer in Oregon for the total solar eclipse. SS still works fine with my new iPhone 8+ and never seems to crash. The map feature is neat and well executed. Seeing how time affects the azimuth range of the Sun is useful and fascinating. 6*!
As cool as it looks, worth every penny
I’ve wanted an app like this for years. So much that I nearly built it myself. Buying this app was my last effort before starting that process and I’m glad I did. Sun Seeker delivers on its core promise of being the easiest way to track the sun for any location on earth. We just used it to place the planter beds in our new home and I’m sure I’ll use it in the future to plan photo shoots or place buildings. Just a great app executed very well.
Wow! This app is awesome!
As a photographer this app is AMAZING!! I don't have to scout out locations at sunrise or sunset anymore! I can just check the location of the sunset and sunrise location on the app, and it tells you about what is will be like at during different months of the year and everything. 100% worth the money for any natural light photographers!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.