Sun Surveyor Lite
By Adam Ratana
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Sun Surveyor Lite predicts and visualizes Sun, Sunrise and Sunset positions and times with a 3D Compass! Sun Surveyor Lite is useful for film and photography location scouting, solar panel positioning, architecture, gardening, real estate, Earth Science geekery, and more!
Use the interactive controls to:
- Visualize and plan for the "golden hour"
- Find the time of year and angle to shoot a location at Sunrise or Sunset
- Visualize the Sun's path throughout the day or through the year
- Study the sun shadow ratio and projection to visualize the shadows cast from the Sun
- Sun Bearing and Altitude, Sunrise & Sunset, Shadow Ratio, Dawn & Dusk Times , Solar Noon
- Golden Hour and Blue Hour Times
- 3D Compass - A 3D projection of Sun positions and events overlaid onto a compass representing the device's bearing and orientation in the world
- Time Machine Slider - Visualize events for a single day, or watch the days get longer and shorter and the Sun's path in the sky change
- Compensation for Magnetic Declination
Check out the Full Version of Sun Surveyor for:
- Augmented Reality Camera View - Visualize sun and moon positions and paths overlaid upon the device's camera input; determine whether the sun will go behind a building or will come through a window
- Interactive Map View - plan a remote shot or PV array placement, interact with a top-down perspective of sun and moon paths and events
- Street View Panoramas - 360 degree spherical panoramas with selected Sun and Moon events overlaid, where available
- Moon Information, Summer and Winter Solstice Paths & Equinox Paths
- Offline Usage, Entering Coordinates, Searching, Saving & Loading Locations
- Import, Export and Backup of Locations - import Google Earth .kmz/.kml placemarks, and export to share with others
- Elevation calculations - determine the height of a particular location, relative to another, and the difference in vertical angle between them
- Additional Languages: Deutsch, Français, 日本語, Italiano, Español, русский, Norsk (Bokmål), Dansk, Nederlands, čeština, Türkçe, 中文 (简体), 中文 (繁體), Português (Brasil)
What's New in Version 1.4.1
- fix for crash with Russian Localization, updated SDKs
This is a review of the Lite version, the full currently costs about $6 USD.
The 3D Compass is a very neat toy to help locate the sun.
The details of the sun position can be very useful for everything from picnicking, to hunting/fishing, to photography.
The help file is a bit lacking. There are a few features on the compass not properly detailed in the file.
If you're looking for app to track the sun, this will work fine.
I may be reading the information incorrectly, but the azimuth calculated appears to be incorrect. I input a given date and time in the app and also in the US Naval Observatory website and the NOAA website. The elevations agree but the azimuth on the app is different from the ones calculated on the two websites.
The rest of the app works great!
Please provide a fix.
Clever sun visualization tool
I was not expecting the gyroscopic 3D sun tracker. It's very cool. You really get the idea of how the sun moves throughout the day and even the year. Be careful: trying this app will make you want the full version immediately!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: Nov 21, 2013
- Version: 1.4.1
- Size: 5.2 MB
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: Adam Ratana
- © 2012 Adam Ratana
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad Wi-Fi (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi (4th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini Wi-Fi, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.