By Adam Ratana
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Sun Surveyor predicts Sun & Moon positions (azimuth, altitude, time) with a 3D Compass, Interactive Map + Street View, Augmented Reality and a detailed Ephemeris. Sun Surveyor is useful for film and photo location scouting, photographers, architecture, solar panel positioning, gardening, real estate, film grips, Earth Science geekery, and more! Plan for every sunrise, sunset and super moon!
Use the interactive controls to:
- Predict and plan for the golden hour, blue hour and every sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset
- Find the time of year and angle to shoot a location at Sunrise or Sunset, or compositions involving the Moon
- View augmented reality projections of the Sun and Moon paths, pinpoint the time the sun or moon will be at a particular location in the sky
- Visualize the Sun and Moon throughout the day or over a year for any location on the earth
- Observe the Summer and Winter Solstice paths & Equinox paths for any location
- Sun & Moon Bearing and Altitude, Sunrise & Sunset, Shadow Ratio, Moon Rise & Set, Moon Phase & Illumination %, Twilight Times (Civil, Nautical, Astronomical), Summer and Winter Solstice Paths, Equinox Paths, Golden Hour and Blue Hour Times, Solar Noon, upcoming moon phase dates and a Super Moon finder!
- 3D Compass - A 3D projection of Sun and Moon positions and events overlaid onto a compass representing the device's bearing and orientation in the world
- Augmented Reality View - View through the device's camera, visualize where the sun and moon will be in the sky, or when they will move behind a building
- Map View - A top-down view of Sun and Moon event positions overlaid onto an interactive map . Lock down your shooting point and align your shot with Sun & Moon events! Uses the new Google Maps API featuring Terrain maps and rotation and tilting of the map view. Also features elevation lookups and the ability to determine difference in vertical angles between two locations.
- Street View Panoramas - (new!) A 360 degree interactive panorama when available from the Map View for your selected location
- Import and Export of Locations - (new!) import Google Earth .kmz/.kml placemarks, and export to share with others or for backup purposes
- Time Machine Slider - Visualize events for a single day, or watch the days get longer and shorter and the Moon's path get further and closer throughout a year
- Offline Usage (excludes Map View)
- Elevation calculations - determine the height of a particular location, relative to another, and the difference in vertical angle between them
- Enter Coordinates, Save & Load Locations with no data connection or GPS available
- Send screenshots and details
- Sun shadow ratio and projection, visualize the shadows cast from the Sun
- Moon distance, age, apogee, perigee, super moon predictions
- Local, Auto-Detect and Manual TimeZone selection
- Compensation for Magnetic Declination
- Languages: English, Deutsch, Français, 日本語, Italiano, Español, русский, Norsk (Bokmål), Dansk, Nederlands, 中文 (繁體), 中文 (简体), 한국의, čeština, Türkçe, Português (Brasil), Polski
What's New in Version 1.6
- Super Moon finder! The details view Moon Phase listings now show moon distance, with >< indicating a Super Moon. Use the slider and scrub through the year to find the next full super moon
- Moon image display - moon images now shown at the angle they appear to an observer
at the selected location
- Details view - added moon distance, moon age, next apogee and perigee
- Details view - moon phases now include times
- Legend, Details view - now displays moonrise and moonset in event order
- Send details - added moon distance, age, apogee, perigee, super moon
- Calculation engine updates
- Corrections to the Spanish translation
Will put this to a lot of use!!
Already planning a sunrise over a bridge shot this Sunday morning thanks to this app.
(and know that it will be next year before the moon will be perfect for another location - I may have to settle for other than a full moon!)
Well done... Works very well and has extra features such as distance measurements, 3d compass and mapping, and use of the camera within sun/moon plotting. Very good app and easy to use....
Best sun app for photographers!
This app is very helpful at setting up photo shoots or planning your lightening for photos.
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: Feb 21, 2014
- Version: 1.6
- Size: 7.0 MB
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: Adam Ratana
- © 2012-2014 Adam Ratana
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad Wi-Fi (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi (4th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini Wi-Fi, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini with Retina display, and iPad mini with Retina display Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.