By Adam Ratana
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Sun Surveyor predicts Sun & Moon positions (azimuth, altitude, time) with a 3D Compass, Interactive Map + Street View, Augmented Reality and a detailed Ephemeris. Sun Surveyor is useful for film and photo location scouting, photographers, architecture, solar panel positioning, gardening, real estate, film grips, Earth Science geekery, and more! Plan for every sunrise, sunset and super moon!
Use the interactive controls to:
- Predict and plan for the golden hour, blue hour and every sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset
- Find the time of year and angle to shoot a location at Sunrise or Sunset, or compositions involving the Moon
- View augmented reality projections of the Sun and Moon paths, pinpoint the time the sun or moon will be at a particular location in the sky
- Visualize the Sun and Moon throughout the day or over a year for any location on the earth- Observe the Summer and Winter Solstice paths & Equinox paths for any location
- Sun & Moon Bearing and Altitude, Sunrise & Sunset, Shadow Ratio, Moon Rise & Set, Moon Phase & Illumination %, Twilight Times (Civil, Nautical, Astronomical), Summer and Winter Solstice Paths, Equinox Paths, Golden Hour and Blue Hour Times, Solar Noon, upcoming moon phase dates and a Super Moon finder!
- Live Augmented Reality View - View through the device's camera, visualize where the sun and moon will be in the sky, or when they will move behind a building
- Interactive Map View - A top-down view of Sun and Moon event positions overlaid onto an interactive map . Lock down your shooting point and align your shot with Sun & Moon events! Uses the new Google Maps API featuring Terrain maps and rotation and tilting of the map view. Also features elevation lookups and the ability to determine difference in vertical angles between two locations.
- 3D Compass - A 3D projection of Sun and Moon positions and events overlaid onto a compass representing the device's bearing and orientation in the world
- Street View - A 360 degree interactive panorama (when available) for your selected location
- "Today" Widget (new!) - (for the pull-down notification center) shows rise and set times for the current location and the next upcoming sun event
... And more:
- Import and Export of Locations - import Google Earth .kmz/.kml placemarks, and export to share with others or for backup purposes
- Time Machine Slider - Visualize events for a single day, or watch the days get longer and shorter and the Moon's path get further and closer throughout a year
- Offline Usage (excludes Map & Street View)
- Elevation calculations - determine the height of a particular location, relative to another, and the difference in vertical angle between them
- Enter Coordinates, Save & Load Locations with no data connection or GPS available
- Send screenshots and details to collaborators and colleagues
- Sun shadow ratio and projection, visualize the shadows cast from the sun
- Moon distance, age, apogee, perigee, super moon predictions
- Local, Auto-Detect and manual TimeZone selection
- Compensation for Magnetic Declination
- Languages: English, Deutsch, Français, 日本語, Italiano, Español, русский, Norsk (Bokmål), Dansk, Nederlands, 中文 (繁體), 中文 (简体), 한국의, čeština, Türkçe, Português (Brasil), Polski
What's New in Version 2.0.1
- Updated Korean translation
- Updated SDKs, minor bugfixes
Awesome sun and moon visualization tool
I bought the full version after a short demo of the free version. The added features do not disappoint. In fact, they are more in-depth than expected.
Initially purchased as more of a learning tool to visualize the sun's position throughout the day and year, I've come to find this to be an essential tool for my casual photography. Not only will it help position and orient you for the time and place where you currently are, but the overlay of the sun (and moon) info on Google street view is genius.
A few interface quirks, which the very friendly & responsive developer assured me were being improved upon. The rest of the app far outweighs any minor drawbacks or interface design clunkiness.
If the free app engaged you or this app seems like it might be up your alley, trust me, it will surpass your expectations. Well worth the price for the functionality it offers.
*The 2.0 app update really improves and enhances this already-great app.
I know it's expensive, but this app is really worth the money if you are a professional photographer. The level of detail and viewing options is astounding. Very well thought out and not too complicated.
It's worth it. Awesome
Track down sunrise, sunset, golden time and the blue light (time).
Best time to go out, track down sun altitude for walk, hiking, fishing and photography
Give you five star.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: Jun 29, 2015
- Version: 2.0.1
- Size: 14.3 MB
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: Adam Ratana
- © 2011-2015 Adam Ratana
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone and iPad. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.