By Adam Ratana
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Sun Surveyor predicts Sun & Moon positions (azimuth, altitude, time) with a 3D Compass, Interactive Map + Street View, Augmented Reality and a detailed Ephemeris. Sun Surveyor is useful for film and photo location scouting, photographers, architecture, solar panel positioning, gardening, real estate, film grips, Earth Science geekery, and more! Plan for every sunrise, sunset and super moon!
Use the interactive controls to:
- Predict and plan for the golden hour, blue hour and every sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset
- Find the time of year and angle to shoot a location at Sunrise or Sunset, or compositions involving the Moon
- View augmented reality projections of the Sun and Moon paths, pinpoint the time the sun or moon will be at a particular location in the sky
- Visualize the Sun and Moon throughout the day or over a year for any location on the earth
- Observe the Summer and Winter Solstice paths & Equinox paths for any location
- Sun & Moon Bearing and Altitude, Sunrise & Sunset, Shadow Ratio, Moon Rise & Set, Moon Phase & Illumination %, Twilight Times (Civil, Nautical, Astronomical), Summer and Winter Solstice Paths, Equinox Paths, Golden Hour and Blue Hour Times, Solar Noon, upcoming moon phase dates and a Super Moon finder!
- 3D Compass - A 3D projection of Sun and Moon positions and events overlaid onto a compass representing the device's bearing and orientation in the world
- Augmented Reality View - View through the device's camera, visualize where the sun and moon will be in the sky, or when they will move behind a building
- Map View - A top-down view of Sun and Moon event positions overlaid onto an interactive map . Lock down your shooting point and align your shot with Sun & Moon events! Uses the new Google Maps API featuring Terrain maps and rotation and tilting of the map view. Also features elevation lookups and the ability to determine difference in vertical angles between two locations.
- Street View Panoramas - (new!) A 360 degree interactive panorama when available from the Map View for your selected location
- Import and Export of Locations - (new!) import Google Earth .kmz/.kml placemarks, and export to share with others or for backup purposes
- Time Machine Slider - Visualize events for a single day, or watch the days get longer and shorter and the Moon's path get further and closer throughout a year
- Offline Usage (excludes Map View)
- Elevation calculations - determine the height of a particular location, relative to another, and the difference in vertical angle between them
- Enter Coordinates, Save & Load Locations with no data connection or GPS available
- Send screenshots and details
- Sun shadow ratio and projection, visualize the shadows cast from the Sun
- Moon distance, age, apogee, perigee, super moon predictions
- Local, Auto-Detect and Manual TimeZone selection
- Compensation for Magnetic Declination
- Languages: English, Deutsch, Français, 日本語, Italiano, Español, русский, Norsk (Bokmål), Dansk, Nederlands, 中文 (繁體), 中文 (简体), 한국의, čeština, Türkçe, Português (Brasil), Polski
What's New in Version 1.6.1
- Fix for iPhone 5s and new iPad mini architectures - freeze when reticle exactly at horizon in AR View
Awesome sun and moon visualization tool
I bought the full version after a short demo of the free version. The added features do not disappoint. In fact, they are more in-depth than expected.
Initially purchased as more of a learning tool to visualize the sun's position throughout the day and year, I've come to find this to be an essential tool for my casual photography. Not only will it help position and orient you for the time and place where you currently are, but the overlay of the sun (and moon) info on Google street view is genius.
A few interface quirks, which the very friendly & responsive developer assured me were being improved upon. The rest of the app far outweighs any minor drawbacks or interface design clunkiness.
If the free app engaged you or this app seems like it might be up your alley, trust me, it will surpass your expectations. Well worth the price for the functionality it offers.
I know this isn't supposed to be a precision app, and their honest about that, but as a photographer it falls short for being really useful. I'd love to be able to stand in a spot by a window and predict when the sun will shine through at the needed angle, but the lack of precision of this app has made that difficult. I have yet to see the AR position of the sun line up with the real sun, even live. I wish when this happened I could grab the virtual sun and drag it over the real sun to recalibrate it for that session and get a more accurate prediction for another day.
Pure, unadulterated GENIUS!
I am an astronomy and physics teacher and certainly recommend this app for anyone teaching these subjects.
Augmented Reality View is an incredible part of the app's functionality.
Example: One of the major projects my students do in Astronomy is a 4 month photographic study of the motion of the sun to better understand celestial dynamics. Sun Surveyor has proved indispensable for my students as they select a location for their photos…a location they must be assured will give them clear access to the setting sun over that 4 month period.
The developer has created a truly special app in Sun Surveyor.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Photo & Video
- Updated: Jun 17, 2014
- Version: 1.6.1
- Size: 7.0 MB
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: Adam Ratana
- © 2012-2014 Adam Ratana
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad Wi-Fi (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi (4th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini Wi-Fi, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.