A new & amazing version of SuperBetter is now available for the workplace! If you are looking for that version, visit www.SuperBetterAtWork.com.
If you are interested in the original version of SuperBetter that we make available for free to anyone around the world, you are in the right place.
Live Gamefully. Be Stronger. Proven results in just 10 minutes a day.
SuperBetter increases resilience - the ability to stay strong, motivated and optimistic even in the face of difficult obstacles. Playing SuperBetter makes you more capable of getting through any tough situation—and more likely to achieve the goals that matter most to you.
SuperBetter was created by Jane McGonigal, a world-renowned designer of games to improve real lives & solve real problems.
►► Why play SuperBetter?
SuperBetter has helped nearly half a million people so far achieve personal growth and tackle real-life challenges. Here are reasons people around the world are using SuperBetter:
- To adopt a new habit, develop a talent, learn or improve a skill, strengthen a relationship, make a physical or athletic breakthrough, complete a meaningful project, or pursue a lifelong dream.
- To beat depression, overcome anxiety, cope with chronic illness or chronic pain, heal from physical injury, or recover from post-traumatic stress.
- To overcome a life challenge like finding a new job, surviving divorce, dealing with a career or school setback, or grieving the loss of a loved one.
- To help others: therapists recommend SuperBetter to their patients; university professors incorporate SuperBetter into their student’s coursework; and HR professionals design SuperBetter into their employee wellness incentive programs.
►► SuperBetter is Living Gamefully
“At the heart of SUPERBETTER is a simple and potentially transformative idea: We can use the same psychological strengths we display when we play games to confront real-life challenges, whether it’s illness, injury, or just changing our habits for the better.”
– Daniel H. Pink, bestselling author of Drive and A Whole New Mind
Living gamefully means bringing the same psychological strengths you naturally display when you play games – such as optimism, creativity, courage, and determination – to your real life. It means having the courage and openness to try out different strategies to discover what works best. It means collaborating with allies, and building up the resilience to tackle tougher and tougher challenges with greater and greater success.
►► The Science Behind SuperBetter
Powered by the science of games, positive psychology and behavior change.
SuperBetter is validated in two clinical studies:
• A randomized controlled study conducted by the University of Pennsylvania found that playing SuperBetter for 30 days significantly reduces symptoms of depression and anxiety, and increases optimism, social support, and player’s belief in their own ability to succeed and achieve their goals. They also found that SuperBetter users were significantly happier and more satisfied with their lives.
• A clinical trial funded by the National Institutes of Health and conducted at Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and Cincinnati Children’s Hospital found that using SuperBetter improves mood, decreases anxiety and suffering, and strengthens family relationships during rehabilitation and recovery.
• The SuperBetter app is an everyday coach for gameful living
• Identify your Epic Win and create your Secret Identity
• Recruit Allies to support your journey
• Choose pre-loaded experiences (PowerPacks) or design your own adventures
• Complete Quests, activate PowerUps and battle Bad Guys each day
• Track your resilience scores – mental, emotional, social & physical
Live Gamefully. Be Stronger. Get SuperBetter.
Small updates and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Speaks to your inner child
I’ve just started to use this app, but like it a whole lot already. It turns something like battling depression (a typically miserable endeavor) into an epic adventure. I can see how this app wouldn’t be for everybody, but if you’re a creative or imaginative type, it’s the best. Every day you give yourself power-ups and complete quests that help you on whatever personal journey you may be on. It doesn’t have to be depression; it could be anything you’re struggling with.
The one drawback is that I didn’t care for any of the pre-made “powerpaks” of suggested power-ups, bad guys, and quests. For instance, sometimes a quest just involved completing certain power-ups. I didn’t see the point of that overlapping. Or with the bad guys, sometimes there was no instruction on how to “fight,” or it would be something vague, like “practice self compassion.” The saving grace of all this is that you don’t have to use these and can fully create your own tools to personalize the experience. It took some time but I enjoyed brainstorming my own bad guys with strategies to beat them and creating power-ups and quests that are relevant to my experience. Once I got these set up, the app became a lot more fun and useful.
Overall, I think this is a great app for anyone who wants to add some fun and creativity to their personal struggles. Just be ready to add your own content to the mix.
Best app I’ve used
This app if you actively use it, will be a life saver. I’ve been using it for years off and on. It helps put you in the right frame of mind to take on anything. Chronic Pain, family issues. It I went from a bedridden disfunctional disabled person with a pure negative attitude and absolute hopelessness to someone who was more positive, could deal with my pain and responsibilities and even started helping my own families issues as a true mother and wife. My relationships improved, the pain levels were more manageable and slightly less frequent. Nothing externally changed. My perspective changed and things slowly got better. I wouldn’t say I’m a superbetter person but definitely a better more functional one. The other thing I liked about it. Is that it’s customizable. You can created your own aspects of “the game”. Also, treating it like a game made it fun. Say you are an alcohol and want to put the 12 step program element in your challenges, if they don’t already have a pack for it. You can make one specific for you. Also, being a person with chronic migraines I was able to put in my triggers and plan how do deal with. I would recommend this application for anyone. Even just if you want a superbetter life than you already have.
Great App for Depression
I’ve barely used this app - in fact I just downloaded it today. But I can already tell that it will help me with my depression. I have fairly severe depression, so everything is a battle; therefore, doing these little challenges, like drinking a glass of water, not pinching your fat, hugging yourself, etc. make it feel like I’ve accomplished something, anything. This app makes necessary and helpful tasks into power-ups to be earned, and “bad guys” to be defeated. And when you have absolutely no motivation for anything, the idea of beating a challenge, getting points, and leveling up at least makes it easier to walk my dog, or get off the chair when I can’t seem to move. This may not help everyone, but I think it will certainly help me.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.