By SuperBetter, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Live Gamefully. Be Stronger. Proven results in just 10 minutes a day.
SuperBetter increases resilience - the ability to stay strong, motivated and optimistic even in the face of difficult obstacles. Playing SuperBetter makes you more capable of getting through any tough situation—and more likely to achieve the goals that matter most to you.
SuperBetter was created by Jane McGonigal, a world-renowned designer of games to improve real lives & solve real problems.
►► Why play SuperBetter?
SuperBetter has helped nearly half a million people so far achieve personal growth and tackle real-life challenges. Here are reasons people around the world are using SuperBetter:
- To adopt a new habit, develop a talent, learn or improve a skill, strengthen a relationship, make a physical or athletic breakthrough, complete a meaningful project, or pursue a lifelong dream.
- To beat depression, overcome anxiety, cope with chronic illness or chronic pain, heal from physical injury, or recover from post-traumatic stress.
- To overcome a life challenge like finding a new job, surviving divorce, dealing with a career or school setback, or grieving the loss of a loved one.
- To help others: therapists recommend SuperBetter to their patients; university professors incorporate SuperBetter into their student’s coursework; and HR professionals design SuperBetter into their employee wellness incentive programs.
►► SuperBetter is Living Gamefully
“At the heart of SUPERBETTER is a simple and potentially transformative idea: We can use the same psychological strengths we display when we play games to confront real-life challenges, whether it’s illness, injury, or just changing our habits for the better.”
– Daniel H. Pink, bestselling author of Drive and A Whole New Mind
Living gamefully means bringing the same psychological strengths you naturally display when you play games – such as optimism, creativity, courage, and determination – to your real life. It means having the courage and openness to try out different strategies to discover what works best. It means collaborating with allies, and building up the resilience to tackle tougher and tougher challenges with greater and greater success.
►► The Science Behind SuperBetter
Powered by the science of games, positive psychology and behavior change.
SuperBetter is validated in two clinical studies:
• A randomized controlled study conducted by the University of Pennsylvania found that playing SuperBetter for 30 days significantly reduces symptoms of depression and anxiety, and increases optimism, social support, and player’s belief in their own ability to succeed and achieve their goals. They also found that SuperBetter users were significantly happier and more satisfied with their lives.
• A clinical trial funded by the National Institutes of Health and conducted at Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and Cincinnati Children’s Hospital found that using SuperBetter improves mood, decreases anxiety and suffering, and strengthens family relationships during rehabilitation and recovery.
• The SuperBetter app is an everyday coach for gameful living
• Identify your Epic Win and create your Secret Identity
• Recruit Allies to support your journey
• Choose pre-loaded experiences (PowerPacks) or design your own adventures
• Complete Quests, activate PowerUps and battle Bad Guys each day
• Track your resilience scores – mental, emotional, social & physical
Live Gamefully. Be Stronger. Get SuperBetter.
What's New in Version 1.1.2
- New app icon
- Various bug fixes
Game Design for Life's Challenges
It's wonderful to have an app that helps me see my struggles as winnable challenges. You know how nice it is in video games that all you have to do is follow the steps to win? Life can be like that--you help yourself figure out what you need to do, add it into Superbetter, and then whenever you do as you must to help yourself win, you can "turn in" that work in the app and feel rewarded immediately. Success is the accumulation of many small victories, and Superbetter helps you to feel that success is within reach, by validating and celebrating each step. It's not so simple as to be easy, because it requires reflection and self-knowledge to fill in your challenges, steps to success, and what best supports you. Rather, Superbetter will help you reframe whatever it is you're struggling with into a fight you can win, by taking many small steps and encouraging you along the way.
This app may have just changed my life.
I just finished watching her TEDTalk (favorite, by far). I suffer from severe lack of self-esteem which manifests as negative self image, severe social anxiety and depression. I have been in and out of therapy since 2005 and learned all the skills to live and love better. Unfortunately, I never could put those tools to work due to lack of self-confidence. Now, as a lifelong gamer, I found a way to break out of the unfortunate self fulfilling circle of despair. This may have saved my marriage and my sanity because I can now begin to see my inner superhero. With every goal achieved, I wash away some of the negative gunk weighing me down. Thank you for developing this app! You are saving so many lives (mine included)!
Just what I needed!
Let me start by saying that I work in the mobile games industry, so the idea of gamifying behavior modification appeals to me on both a personal and professional level. I have been using this app for about a week, and I am already making positive changes and seeing results. My aim is to lose weight. I love the ease of having Power Ups, Enemies to Slay, and Quests to accomplish on a daily basis to move me gradually toward this goal. These readily achievable steps provide the positive reinforcement of receiving points and leveling up. I find myself checking in at least three times per day to record my wins and see my progress. SuperBetter is fun, sly, and smart!