Swarasthana is a teaching and knowledge aid for all Carnatic Music beginners and enthusiasts.
- Sing along and practice saraḷi, jhaṇṭa, dhāṭu varisais, and alaṅkārams, not only in māyāmāḷavagauḷa, but in any of the 72 mēlās, (NEW IN VERSION 2.0) as well as more than 25 pentatonic (auḍava), and 8 hexatonic (śāḍava) ragas. Adjust the sruthi, and tempo according to your comfort level. Select the instrument from veena, guitar, flute, or (NEW IN VERSION 2.0) Violin.
- Improve upon your ability to sing swarasthanas in perfect pitch using the Sruthi Suddham feature, which features a realtime pitch tracker that tracks your pitch as you sing.
- Get better at identifying swaras using the Swara Gnyanam feature, which is in the form of a game in which the app generates an arbitrary pattern of 1 to 4 swaras, and you have to identify the swaras.
- NEW IN VERSION 2.0: Get better at identifying scales/ragas using the Scale Identification game. Swarasthana plays a melody in the scale of a randomly chosen raga and you need to identify it. You can choose the level of difficult by asking Swarasthana to choose from popular melas or all melas, and popular or all pentatonic (auḍava) and hexatonic (śāḍava) ragas.
- Added Violin Instrument
- Support for pentatonic (auḍava) and hexatonic (śāḍava) ragas in all the lessons. You can now practice lessons in these ragas beside the 72 melakarta ragas.
- Added a Scale Identification Game. Swarasthana plays a melody in the scale of a raga, and you have to guess it.
- Added a "saraḷi varisais - all" lesson which runs through the saraḷi varisais in succession.
- Added more mēl sthāyi varisai lessons, and also a miscellaneous Scale Exercises category.
- Bug fixes: Fixed crash when changing tempo; Lesson settings (speed) is now remembered .
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent practice tool for me.
I won 't quibble with the last reviwer's assessment of pitch tracking. For me it's not the point. Having a collection of vocal exercises in ragas of interest has been invaluable for me. Only wish I had had this 5 years ago when I first began to study Carnatic music. Well done!
Still need maturity of the app
The app may not be for beginners.
In "swara sudham", even while you are not singing, the graph continues to plot and does't change with your singing. Probably the app was plotting the graph for the inbuilt tanpura and not for your singing.
No contact information provided to reach the developer.
Waste of money!!
I don’t like this app and it is not at all helpful in anyway!! I wish there is a negative rating... this app doesn’t record my voice in swara Sudham. I was expecting this app to me more like a shruthi detector/ tuner... more over I didn’t find any demo ( not sure if I didn’t search it properly ). Bottom line is money and efforts are wasted.. request people not to download this app!!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.