What should you do if your child develops a fever, cough, vomiting, rash, sore throat or head injury? What should you do about behavioral issues, from toilet training to teaching responsibility to teenagers? When can your child return to school or child care after an illness? These are medical advice questions that all parents have. Health problems can arise anytime – evenings, weekends, when you’re at work or traveling or your doctor’s office is closed.
Swedish Kids Symptom Checker is designed especially for these times. The symptom care guides help you make smart decisions on what level of care (if any) is needed and how to provide speedy symptom relief for minor illnesses or injuries you can manage on your own.
Swedish Kids Symptom Checker is derived from the clinical protocols used by pediatricians and nurses in 10,000 practices and 400 nurse advice call centers in the US and Canada. They have been tested for 15 years on more than 150 million symptom calls.
The Parent Advice Messages deal with the most common behavior and wellness questions parents ask their physicians. Each topic provides a description of the issue, three to five specific recommendations to address the concern, and (often) additional resources which may be useful to your situation. The advice messages can be quickly located by using the alphabetical index, category index or keyword search.
Symptom Checker Features
Easy 3-step navigation:
1. Choose the most appropriate symptom care guide
2. Use the symptom decision chart to find the recommended action
3. Follow the self care advice to make your child more comfortable
The care guide that best matches your child’s symptom can be located quickly by using alphabetical index, body area index, or keyword search.
Content - each symptom care guide contains:
* Definition which describes the focus of the care guide so you can decide if it’s a good fit for your problem. If not, there are quick links to related guidelines.
* Decision Chart which helps determine what action is suggested based on the severity and description of your symptom. Once you have a match, simply follow the corresponding action, such as Call 911, Call Your Child’s Doctor Now, Call Your Child’s Doctor within 24 hours or Manage at Home.
* Immediate Connections to medical help, such as 911, your child’s doctor or nearby Emergency Department (ER) are available if you have phone service.
* Home Care Advice is available for any illnesses and injuries that can be treated at home. The instructions provide clear, up-to-date steps for relieving symptoms.
* Medication and Allergy List for tracking important information about your family’s prescriptions and/or over the counter medications.
* Pediatric dosage tables for common over-the-counter medications.
* Visual images to help you identify symptoms (e.g. rashes), injuries and common causes of bites & stings.
* First Aid topics and illustrations to support immediate action, if needed.
Disclaimer: The information provided with this Application is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment; it is for informational purposes only. Talk with your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. If you think your child may have a medical emergency, call the doctor or 911 immediately. Before using Swedish Kids Symptom Checker, all users should read and agree with the full Disclaimer available in the application within More > Terms and Conditions.
*Fix for image 'tap to enlarge' feature
Ratings and Reviews
Great stuff for parents to know
Very reassuring app! Gives nice clear guidelines on when to worry and when not to, on all kinds of injuries and illnesses. (Hint: turns out we don't need to worry quite as often as we think we do.) Lots of helpful tips for home care too. Recommended if you have little ones to take care of.
This mom loves it!
I think the last review is a bit harsh. This app has a ton of info on all of the common ailments that parents encounter- from odd rashes and bug bites, to strepp and fevers, all with the same advice I've heard from my pediatrician. I love the common OTC dosage charts that contain dosages from infant drops to tablets so that you can give your toddler drops and your 10 year old a tablet.
This app really really helps!
I needed to know what was wrong ad this told me! I mean how can some people be mean to such a awesome app!!! This will save you so much time if your like me and google everything!!!this app will even call the er 911 or your own doctor!!! It's amazing
- Susan Altman
- 15.8 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2017 Self Care Decisions, LLC.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.