Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Swift Playgrounds is a revolutionary new app for iPad that makes it fun to learn and experiment with code. You solve interactive puzzles in the guided “Learn to Code” lessons to master the basics of coding, while additional challenges let you explore code and create programs that are engaging and unique.
Swift Playgrounds requires no coding knowledge, so it’s perfect for students just starting out, from twelve to one-hundred-and-twelve. The whole time you are learning Swift, a powerful programming language created by Apple and used by professionals to build many of today’s most popular apps. And because it’s built to take full advantage of iPad and the real iOS SDK, Swift Playgrounds is a first-of-its-kind learning experience.
• Apple-created lessons guide you through the core concepts of programming by using code to solve puzzles
• See your code run in a beautiful, interactive 3D world that you can rotate with a finger and pinch to zoom
• Animations introduce each new coding concept at a high level before you dive into the puzzles
• Choose from three animated characters to carry out the steps of your code
• Glossary covers a comprehensive list of common terms, or tap a word in the instructions for additional help
Explore and create
• Challenges encourage experimentation and creativity by playing with game logic, music, and various other themes
• New challenges are released regularly to keep improving your emerging coding skills
• Interactive coding shows the results of your code instantly, either beside the text or acted out in the live view
• Step through your code to highlight each line as it is run
- Use your own photos, images, sounds, and files within a program to make it uniquely yours
• Templates are a head start to create your own programs that use graphs, graphics, touch, or a chat with the computer
• Create your own playgrounds from scratch to take your coding skills to entirely new places
• Reset any page to start over, or duplicate and rename any document to give a family member their own copy
Built for touch
• Quick Type suggestions for code are so smart you can write entire programs in just a few taps, no keyboard required
• Tap and hold to grab any command and move it around to change the order of your code
• Drag a brace with your finger to wrap a block of code inside a loop or conditional statement
• Drag and drop snippets of commonly-used code directly into your playground
• Tap a number or color in your code to display a pop-up in which to enter a new value or choose from a color picker
• Amazing new coding keyboard has all the common Swift characters, just swipe to pick the alternate symbol on any key
Real Swift and iOS code
• Learn the same powerful Swift programming language used by the pros to create thousands of apps in the App Store
• Access iOS frameworks such as SpriteKit for 2D games, SceneKit for 3D graphics, UIKit, and more
• Your code has direct control of iPad hardware such as the gyroscope, accelerometer, camera, and touch events
• Use Bluetooth APIs to write programs that control robots and other real-world devices with your iPad
• Every concept and skill you learn directly applies when writing real apps
• Send your creations to friends and family using Messages, Mail, AirDrop, or other Share Sheet extensions
• Record a video of yourself coding or running your creation, complete with your own voice narration
• Broadcast a coding session live to the world using any streaming service app that supports ReplayKit
• Homework hand-in with iTunes U makes it easy to bring coding into the classroom
• Turn on iCloud Drive to enable Xcode on your Mac to edit and extend the same documents that are on your iPad
* Swift Playgrounds requires a 64-bit iPad with iOS 10 or later, including iPad mini 2 or later, iPad Air or later, or iPad Pro
What's New in Version 1.1.2
• An error message will display automatically if your code has a mistake
• Playground documents can be installed from within Safari and Mail on iPad (requires iOS 10.2)
• Fixed issue that would improperly select a block of code, and could prevent dragging to re-order lines of code
• Fixed issue that caused buttons to draw in the wrong location when multitasking with another app
• Additional bug fixes and stability improvements
New in Swift Playgrounds 1.1:
• Learn to Code 3 continues the guided learning experience as you help Blu explore the universe
• Hour of Code challenge gives a Byte-sized introduction to the Learn to Code lessons
• Step through your code to highlight each line as it is run
• Learn to Code now includes music and sound effects
• Notifications for new and updated content
Note: Download new copies of Learn to Code from the Featured page to get the music, sound effects, and line highlighting features.
This App is amazing! ...But it needs to optimized for iPad Air 1 users 🙁
Ok, let me just say that I absolutely LOVE this App! I've been dreaming of making Apple Apps that people will want spend their hard-earned cash on a great-designed app, and this app makes learning the Swift Programming Language easy to understand, and probably by far the most engaging way to learn. Before, I had to rely on just books about it, even the Swift Programming Books from Apple didn't help me much, because whenever I make notes, they always update it, and all my notes are completely GONE! So there goes that idea, but it wasn't until June of 2016, that during their Keynote event, I was watching WWDC broadcast on my iPad, and when I saw this, I was like, "FINALLY!!! An App made by Apple (No less) to help me learn about the Swift Programming Language! This App is going to change the way I learn Swift!" Fortunately, I'm an early adopter in the Apple ecosystem, so I always make sure I get the latest Public Betas whenever I can, I just couldn't WAIT to try it out before 99% of the consumers get a chance to get it! I got the iOS 10.0 Public Betas in early July, and it was then I realized that it was more than just a learning tool, oh no, you can use this app to make your own code freely! Along with some other stuff, too. And looking back, it actually helped me to know some awesome stuff! But of course, like all betas, there were definitely some bugs, the most notable in very early versions of the app was for the Learning to Code 1 mini-app had NO sound, whatsoever! But that was fine with me. But there's just one small problem. I own an original iPad Air 1, and it runs my code very slowly, and in most cases nowadays, it just flat-out won't compile my custom code at all, it just tells me that it wasn't able to build my code for some reason. And that's the most annoying part about it. So Apple, if you're seeing this review, can you do us a favor and make your App more stable on an original iPad Air 1. Thank you in advance! And one more thing: I would like to see a version of this app for iPhones so that I can write my code whenever I don't have my iPad with me. (Which is very often) I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think it would help some of us a lot! Because think about it, some iOS users can't afford an iPad, but can only afford an iPhone, which would be the big essential to a lot of people. And while I wish I could upgrade my iPad to a new iPad Pro, I just simply can't. So if there's anything you've learned from reading this very long review, it would be that the Swift Playgrounds App doesn't work very well with an original iPad Air 1. Also, some emojis won't work in variables, because apparently, some emojis use characters that are prohibited from certain characters. I know it's not the App's fault, but for the next version of Swift, try to make all emojis work in the variable name. Just sayin'. And other than all the cons, this app has been a tremendous help in trying to learn the Swift Programming Language. And if you want to start learning the basics of the Swift Programming Language, or want to start on an easy-to-understand programming language that's used to create the apps that you see everyday, FaceBook, YouTube, Minecraft, Etc, then this is the app to look into and get started!
There is no sound. In the if section there is no if else button. Otherwise a 5 star program. Please fix.
Playground won't load...
Provisional review to point out that Playgrounds won't load with iOS 10.10.1 on iPad Air 2
- Category: Education
- Updated: Dec 13, 2016
- Version: 1.1.2
- Size: 274 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Apple Inc.
- © 2016 Apple Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, and 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular.