By NBCUniversal Media, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Syfy Now is your destination for full episodes of your favorite Syfy shows, including new episodes available the day after they air for most programs. Once you open the app, log in with your cable or satellite provider account to gain access to the currently available episodes. The same app works on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – you can even sync your watchlist and in-show progress across multiple devices via iCloud.
If your cable or satellite provider isn't currently available via Syfy Now, there's still plenty of great things for you to enjoy, including selected full episodes and clips from Syfy shows, behind-the-scenes interviews, original online series like BlastrTV and more.
Syfy Now features:
* AirPlay! You can now stream Syfy Now to your Apple TV. Start the episode in the app and stream to your television.
* Add episodes to the watchlist for later viewing.
* Season pass feature adds new episodes of your favorite shows to the watchlist.
* Cross-device syncing via iCloud allows you to sync watchlists and pick up where you left off on any iOS device you own.
* Share what you're watching via Facebook, Twitter and email.
* PLUS: You can watch Syfy shows and movies LIVE inside the app, just as if you were watching the network on your television. So it's like watching live TV - just on your computer or mobile device! (Note: Most of Syfy's shows are currently available, and we're working hard to make those that aren't available soon).
Current television providers include the following:
Time Warner (Now Available!)
Wide Open West
...and many more. For a complete list of providers, download the app or visit http://www.syfy.com/providerlist
What's New in Version 5.1
- AirPlay! You can now stream Syfy Now to your Apple TV. Start the episode in the app and stream to your television.
- Enhancements to video playback performance.
Works as you would expect these days
Like most online access to streaming programming, the new app works well to present network programming.
The playback quality is good and the app provides effective usability, allowing you to find programming of interest, etc.
A plus is that it (like other network-specific apps) offers a full range of recent full episodes.
The biggest con - and it's a big one - is the ad-acceleration technique, which increases the ad frequency as you get farther into the program. I'm ok with watching an ad or two, but this app only offers content if you have a subscription from an existing cable provider, so I'm already 'paying' for the content at some level and would really prefer to be assaulted with only the same number of ads present in the cable version - not more, which it sure seems is the case for the mobile viewing experience.
Still, a great way to catch up on a missed episode or two - just not the best experience for binge-watching.
Good app, could be better
I love that I can see a full season. I don't love the ads, but I appreciate that they cover the cost.
I find there to be a very annoying bug. If my iPad sleeps, or if I turn it off with the app running, it freezes. My only option is to close it and restart.
One more thing - every time I open the app, I have to log in again. I log in through my home network ISP, so it's not difficult, but it is an annoyance - especially when I have just closed the app because it froze.
AirPlay functionality is worthless
While trying to use this app to stream to an Apple TV via AirPlay, the performance is awful and the connection repeatedly drops. Then, of course, when you do manage to get it to reconnect you have to sit through the ads again. This is one of those things that make you just want to throw your phone across the room. My iPhone 6 was maybe 12 feet from my AirPort Extreme AC with clear line of sight and there is simply no excuse for this kind of awful app design - particularly since the discoveryd nonsense has finally been resolved.
If you're trying to use this for AirPlay, look for another solution.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Aug 06, 2015
- Version: 5.1
- Size: 41.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: NBCUniversal Media, LLC
- © 2013 NBCUniversal
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.