Symmetry School: Learning Geometry
By PixelSoup Ltd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Guardian - ‘50 Best Apps for Kids from 2013 that Parents can Trust’
Winner: Gold & Silver APPY Award for Best Children's App and Best Educational App
The iPhone Mom - “5 Stars: Symmetry School is a goldmine of educational fun”
Alignment to COMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS
Have fun and learn with Symmetry School – a multilingual, captivating, brain-twisting game designed to support and encourage mathematical development in your child.
Symmetry School’s intuitive learning experience allows children of ALL abilities to learn through play, exploring hard-to-grasp symmetrical concepts on their own terms and at their own pace.
Geometry, the mathematics of shape and space, is a fun and practical way to introduce mathematical thinking, and Symmetry School encourages learners to use their intuition and imagination to explore symmetrical puzzles. Through gameplay, learners are aided in developing an essential foundation in spatial reasoning, problem solving and visualization.
Suitable for home or school use, Symmetry School has been developed in-line with international curriculum requirements for short-form K-12 learning. Symmetry School fits easily into the classroom time period and each app purchase provides access to a supporting Whiteboard version for teachers. There are supplemental print activities available to download, as well as a handy 'Email Your Result' module used for homework activities.
• Learn to recognise reflective and rotational symmetry.
• Use an understanding of reflective symmetry to complete the missing half of a pattern.
• Use an understanding of rotational symmetry to predict and describe the results of rotating patterns.
• Recognise simple spatial patterns and relationships and make predictions about them.
• Develop a foundation for understanding symmetry at later levels.
• Solve problems and learn to work systematically.
• Develop fine motor skills.
• Have fun and learn!
Symmetry School has been rigorously user tested through multiple school pilots, with the appropriate educational vocabulary used throughout the game. The language and terminology used within Symmetry School has been chosen by international educationalists for all 8 languages. Symmetry School is available in English, French, German, Irish, Chinese, Spanish and now Portuguese and Russian.
COMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS Alignment:
• CCSS.Math.Practice.MP1 – Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
• CCSS.Math.Practice.MP4 – Model with mathematics.
• CCSS.Math.Content.4.G.A.3 – Recognize a line of symmetry for a two-dimensional figure as a line across the figure such that the figure can be folded along the line into matching parts. Identify line-symmetric figures and draw lines of symmetry.
• CCSS.Math.Content.8.G.A.1 – Verify experimentally the properties of rotations, reflections, and translations.
• CCSS.Math.Content.8.G.A.2 – Understand that a two-dimensional figure is congruent to another if the second can be obtained from the first by a sequence of rotations, reflections, and translations; given two congruent figures, describe a sequence that exhibits the congruence between them.
• CCSS.Math.Content.8.G.A.3 – Describe the effect of translations, rotations, and reflections on two-dimensional figures using coordinates.
ABOUT SPRAOI SCHOOL
Spraoi School is an engaging series of educational apps and games for home and school which delivers bite-sized educational concepts directly targeting curriculum objectives. The purpose of the Spraoi School series is to support the development of mathematical, language and science-based reasoning in early-to-middle childhood education.
Our aim at Spraoi School is to make learning fun!
What's New in Version 2.0.0
• All new PATTERN Mode! Vision and learning are intimately related, and color blindness can cause significant problems for children learning through color differentiation. For this reason, we have developed new ‘PATTERN' mode which is perfect for children who have difficulty distinguishing colours.
• 2 New Languages: Russian & Portuguese!
• Chinese language corrections.
• Bug Fixes.
A fine fun app!
I teach 2nd graders with a span of math skills. Everyone loves this. Some like working as partners to do this. Best part is that it challenges all levels.
Symmetry School: Learning Geometry is a simple but elegant game that teaches kids about spatial relationships, and is quite addicting to play. Given the pattern, you are to replicate it by placing dots to a grid using reflective (left/right, up/down), or rotational patterns (turning the design 90 degrees in 4 different grids). I love how there are no wrong answers, and if you should place a dot incorrectly, you are prompted. This makes learning flow in a smooth sequential manner without interuption. Games such as this teach children how to think, and view their world. It fosters problem solving, reasoning, and even the ability to move through space. There is an extensive parent/teacher section and links to activities and lesson plans. The developers have recently added a pattern mode, for kid's having difficulty with discrimination of colors. There are no IAPs and all links are secured. Highly Recommended.