Symphony is a notation app and notepad for your musical ideas, allowing to you create anything from piano sheet music to large orchestrations directly on your iPhone.
The Pencil tool allows you to tap anywhere on the canvas to quickly add notes and chords with the multi-staff & multi-voice editor. Powerful editing features like vertical drag to transpose and On-Screen piano lets you compose even more quickly.
Switch to the other Select tool to highlight one or more notes to modify duration, transpose, erase, cut, or paste multiple tracks & bars anywhere you want.
To hear your performance, choose from 100+ acoustic instruments available for live, low-latency, multi-track playback. Import an existing Symphony/SP project or a MIDI/XML file to bring your music collection to life, with an interactive score display & interface optimized for the small screen.
To send your work to a different editor or to a sheet music viewer, Symphony can print your score with AirPrint, share it as a PDF attachment, or as a MIDI, MusicXML, or audio file to DropBox and iCloud Drive.
• Write notes using direct touch, an on-screen instrument, a MIDI input device, or even a QWERTY keyboard
• Notate beautifully formatted chord charts & lead sheets using the Chord Symbol and Lyric tools.
• Import MusicXML, MIDI, MXL, or Symphony files
• Export as a PDF, MusicXML, MIDI, AAC, or Symphony file
• Print the score from your iPad with AirPrint
• Edit grace notes and percussion/drum set notation
• Intuitive score and document navigation
• Up to 15 instruments, 45 staves, 4 voices/layers per score
• Record MIDI to notation in real-time using a click track
• Backup & sync scores with iCloud
• Edit tablature and standard music notation
• Large selection of articulations & dynamics in the Expressions menu
• Copy/Paste function can select multiple measures & staves, and cut single or multiple voices/layers
• Unlimited undo and redo
• Customizable stem directions & note beaming
• Transposing instruments & concert pitch options
• Change tempo or clef at any point in the score
• Stream audio or share your screen wirelessly with AirPlay
• Advanced document management support
• Customizable part groupings for SATB and instrument families
• Customizable chord symbol, lyric, and annotation font
• Loop playback between a region selection
For more info, please visit:
• Product overview: http://symphonypro.net/iphone
• Ask support questions by visiting forums.symphonypro.net
• Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/symphonyapp
• Symphony iPhone is now a paid app before download:
– Free Edition users who have never upgraded can now enable Symphony: Full Edition by rating or reviewing the app
- Interface fixes
- Chord symbol & software keyboard editing fixes
- Addresses PDF export bugs from earlier update
Ratings and Reviews
For the Blind... The best Scorewriter I've Found Yet
Most paid scorewriters are either only partially accessible for the blind, or else they just couldn't care less. I have only just tried to use Symphony with a Bluetooth keyboard tonight, but from what I've seen, it far outperforms most scorewriters for which you have to pay a subscription or a large amount of money. I do think the accessibility features as well as the keyboard shortcuts could be made a bit more prominent on the website or in the App Store description, as I believe blind users would greatly benefit from this. But despite a few quirks, my first attempts have gone very well, and I would like to express my appreciation to the developers for their efforts in making this program accessible.
Works well for me
With this type of specialized work different people are going to want to want so many different things that it’s impossible to include everything that will make everyone happy.
This has a good range of useful features without being too complicated and bloated. I have some expensive products to go to when I need them so I appreciate having this app available as an easily portable option.
Good, But Needs work
This app is an invaluable tool for musicians (composers especially), especially if an instrument isn’t at hand. The app keeps rotating on me, which is annoying but not insurmountable. The features employed are numerous, have a purpose, and can be utilized without much trouble. The dynamics are not very responsive, the same goes for the glisses. Also when changing the BPM, the numbers are white, so it takes a while to discover how to change the speed of the piece.
I have yet to discover how to change the BPM of one section only.
Overall great app, but not perfect.
- Xenon Labs, LLC
- 288.8 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Xenon Labs, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Full Edition: Unlimited Projects & Exporting Free
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.