Symphony is the premiere notation app and notepad for professional musicians, composers, and students alike, allowing to you create anything from piano sheet music to large orchestrations directly on your iPhone.
The Pencil tool allows you to tap anywhere on the canvas to quickly add notes and chords with the multi-staff & multi-voice editor. Powerful editing features like vertical drag to transpose and On-Screen piano lets you compose even more quickly.
Switch to the other Select tool to highlight one or more notes to modify duration, transpose, erase, cut, or paste multiple tracks & bars anywhere you want.
To hear your performance, choose from 100+ acoustic instruments available for live, low-latency, multi-track playback. Import an existing Symphony/SP project or a MIDI/XML file to bring your music collection to life, with an interactive score display & interface optimized for the small screen.
To send your work to a different editor or to a sheet music viewer, Symphony can print your score with AirPrint, share it as a PDF attachment, or as a MIDI, MusicXML, or audio file to DropBox and iCloud Drive.
• Write notes using direct touch, an on-screen instrument, a MIDI input device, or even a QWERTY keyboard
• Notate beautifully formatted chord charts & lead sheets using the Chord Symbol and Lyric tools.
• Import MusicXML, MIDI, MXL, or Symphony files
• Export as a PDF, MusicXML, MIDI, AAC, or Symphony file
• Print the score from your iPad with AirPrint
• Edit grace notes and percussion/drum set notation
• Intuitive score and document navigation
• Up to 15 instruments, 45 staves, 4 voices/layers per score
• Record MIDI to notation in real-time using a click track
• Backup & sync scores with iCloud
• Edit tablature and standard music notation
• Large selection of articulations & dynamics in the Expressions menu
• Copy/Paste function can select multiple measures & staves, and cut single or multiple voices/layers
• Unlimited undo and redo
• Customizable stem directions & note beaming
• Transposing instruments & concert pitch options
• Change tempo or clef at any point in the score
• Stream audio or share your screen wirelessly with AirPlay
• Advanced document management support
• Customizable part groupings for SATB and instrument families
• Customizable chord symbol, lyric, and annotation font
• Loop playback between a region selection
For more info, please visit:
• Product overview: http://symphonypro.net/iphone
• Ask support questions by visiting forums.symphonypro.net
• Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/symphonyapp
• Symphony iPhone is now a paid app before download:
– Free Edition users who have never upgraded can now enable Symphony: Full Edition by rating or reviewing the app
- Crash fixes
- Continuing UI layout issues addressed
- Designed for iPhone X
Ratings and Reviews
For the Blind... The best Scorewriter I've Found Yet
Most paid scorewriters are either only partially accessible for the blind, or else they just couldn't care less. I have only just tried to use Symphony with a Bluetooth keyboard tonight, but from what I've seen, it far outperforms most scorewriters for which you have to pay a subscription or a large amount of money. I do think the accessibility features as well as the keyboard shortcuts could be made a bit more prominent on the website or in the App Store description, as I believe blind users would greatly benefit from this. But despite a few quirks, my first attempts have gone very well, and I would like to express my appreciation to the developers for their efforts in making this program accessible.
Symphony on an iPhone SE
On a smaller device like my SE, Symphony for iPhone is, most of the time, an absolute delight, though it is often a test of skill... and patience.
It does indeed do a lot of useful tasks, an awful lot of good thinking going into its features. But the poor app hiccups, belches, and occasionally craps out completely. Still I am happy to have such a keen gadget in my pocket. I use it all the time. I devise workarounds, take notes, cross my fingers. And I find the endeavor completely worthwhile. Mostly I get exactly what I want.
Once habituated to the interface, I find I can clip right along, inputting, previewing, correcting, and making large-scale amendments. It is not, mind you, Finale or Sibelius, or even, for that matter, Symphony Pro on a decent size iPad, but one can rough in fairly intricate sketches any time the muse strikes.
Now, it is an irony that for chipping in my two cents (rather prematurely, I think), I am rewarded with the free upgrade that will, ostensibly, patch a lot of these bugaboos. I guess now I get to find out!
Update: I found out. Nope! Bugs remain. Will probably have to invest in an iPad and try Notion to get any improvement. Cool app; needs work.
This is one of the best apps out there for iPhone/iPad. I have full version for iPad and I use it all the time. I don’t need a computer any more, this app has all the features that beginner and intermediate user needs. If you need to do some of the more advanced stuff then use Finale or Sibelius, but for every day use this is a perfect app! Even if you need to use Finale or Sibelius you can start with this app then export musicXML or midi file and load it in to an app that you want to use on your computer. Thank you Developers!!! You guys ROCK!!!
- Xenon Labs, LLC
- 290 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Xenon Labs, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Full Edition: Unlimited Projects & Exporting Free
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.