Symphony Pro - Music Notation
By Xenon Labs, LLC
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
SymphonyPro 5 is a complete and intuitive app for writing music notation on iPad. It allows you to compose music for just about any size ensemble, from piano, symphonies, band, lead sheets, chord charts, guitar tabs, and more.
Starting Version 5, Symphony Pro now offers handwriting recognition as the only in-app purchase: Perfect with Apple Pencil, and works great with touch or capacitive stylus
SP provides all of the key options to begin your work. Import a score via MusicXML, MXL, MIDI, or SP file from your computer, or from apps like Dropbox, Mail, iCloud Drive, or Safari. You can base your project on a template, or start a blank score and add additional parts later.
To add notes, choose Pencil mode, and tap anywhere on a bar to begin editing right away. You can quickly specify note properties before or after placing notes. By switching to Select mode with one touch, you can also transpose, erase, cut, and paste multiple notes/tracks.
With an on-screen instrument, a QWERTY keyboard, or Core MIDI compatible keyboard, you can quickly enter notes & chords in step entry mode. Record a part in real-time with on-screen instruments to transcribe into notation.
Versions 4 & 5 take greater advantage of the iPad touchscreen. With shortcuts and contextual menus to edit note & bar properties, many of the commonly used editing commands are right at your fingertips.
SP supports a wide range of notational elements for your composition. Including dynamics & articulations, time & key signature changes, clef changes, pedals, and repeat conventions. Edit chord symbols, lyrics, and annotations using the iPad’s standard keyboard.
EXPORT & SHARE
When you’re finished, print out your score with AirPrint, or export it as a PDF, MusicXML, AAC, MIDI, or Symphony file. Share files via email or directly to another computer or iPad via Dropbox/iCloud Drive.
• Introducing Handwriting Recognition for Apple Pencil & touch
• Starting Version 5, Handwriting is the only In-App Purchase to enable the complete app
• Now download SP on your iPhone
• 24+ professionally recorded and sound-designed acoustic instruments, free out of the box
Earlier features offered free, to existing & new owners
• 114 built-in instruments for playback, and auditioning the notes you entered
• Create in standard music notation or tablature
• Edit with an on-screen piano, QWERTY keyboard, or a MIDI input device
• Dozens of shortcuts & gestures to edit & navigate
• Reduce your score size, range, or combination of parts for viewing & editing*
• Print directly to AirPrint
• Up to 48 instruments, 100 staves, 4 voices/layers per score
• Record a part in real-time with clicks at the beat with optional emphasis
• Backup & sync your scores with iCloud*
• Import MusicXML, MIDI, MXL, or Symphony files
• Export as a PDF, MusicXML, MIDI, AAC, or Symphony file
• Large selection of articulations & dynamics
• Multi-measure rests* for parts
• Grace notes
• Customizable notehead symbol & colors
• Chord symbol, lyric, and annotation tools
• Edit the properties of multiple notes and rests simultaneously by multi-note select
• Copy/Paste function supports partial & multi-bar/staff select
• Unlimited undo/redo
• Customizable stem directions & note beaming
• Transposing & concert pitch score option
• Change tempo or clef anywhere in score or bar
• Stream audio or share your screen wirelessly with AirPlay
• Advanced document management
• Create your own custom project template or use a built-in one
• Customizable part groupings for SATB and instrument families
• Customizable chord symbol, lyric, and annotation font
• Loop playback feature
• Auto-save support
* Previously a paid upgrade, but now free starting Version 5
For More information, please visit:
• Facebook page at www.facebook.com/symphonyapp
• Learn about the iPhone-only app: bit.ly/symphonyiphone
What's New in Version 5.1.9
- Fixed issue from previous update where new lyrics couldn’t be added
- General bug fixes
It’s getting there...
As of writing this review, I would say that Symphony Pro is still one of the leading tablet notation apps, competing with Notion and, if you like handwriting apps (I don’t) NotateMe. That said, it still pales in comparison to some of the fundamental features of the desktop name-brand softwares. One thing Symphony Pro attempts to do right is its plethora of QWERTY keyboard shortcuts. Definitely a step in the right direction, but still lacking in the most important area - initial note entry. I recognize that tablets are built around the idea of touch notation and handwriting, but a huge game-changer would be adding support for proper QWERTY note entry wherein you type the letter name of the pitch you want and then use shortcuts to tweak the octave and accidentals. This is a central feature that any power user of Sibelius or Finale is used to. If such a feature were integrated, my rating for Symphony Pro would easily be 4 or 5 stars, as no mobile app currently entices me to rely on it for notation. While SP has an impressive range of detailed features, it would offer the most ‘bang’ for its ‘buck’ if it were to improve the way I enter my notes when using a keyboard with my iPad.
Great fun, a bit tricky sometimes, new sounds are terrible
This app has returned hours of enjoyment and been a creative outlet. The copy/paste editing and note value counting are invaluable. I would never have as much freedom to experiment with manual writing, with erasing, etc. The user interface is a bit fussy at times (on 2nd gen iPad) - I recommend using a good stylus for precision. Haven't tried the handwriting feature, but it seems like it would be imprecise. Unfortunately the new sounds are terrible. The piano is tinny, the cello sounds like a goose with a bad cold, and the violin is an abrasive squeak. It's tolerable, but not very enjoyable to listen to. Otherwise not a bad tool for the price.
I have tried so many different apps for writing music and this has by far been the easiest and most functional app out there. It’s got more features than any other app I’ve tried. I highly recommend for anyone that is looking for an app to compose music.
- Category: Music
- Updated: Nov 03, 2017
- Version: 5.1.9
- Size: 310 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Xenon Labs, LLC
- © 2017 Xenon Labs, LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Version 4: Complete Features BundleFree
- Handwriting Recognition Tool$9.99