By Synthesia LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Learn to play the piano using falling notes!
Start playing immediately, even if you can't read sheet music. Use the touchscreen or connect a digital keyboard and play using real piano keys!
- Synthesia will wait until you hit the correct note in "Melody Practice" mode.
- Perform each hand separately or together.
- Try more than 20 songs in the free version.
- Buy the unlock to play 130 more, along with every other MIDI song ever created.
- Connect your own digital piano and play along.
- Compatible with the lights in most lighted keyboards.
- Optionally show traditional sheet music, in addition to the falling notes.
- Master each section by creating a loop and practicing repeatedly.
- Keep time using the built-in metronome.
- Learn the correct fingers to use from the hints included with every song.
- Choose from more than 100 different instrument sounds.
What's New in Version 10.3.1
- Added "Megalovania" song from Undertale.
- Added four "FNaF" songs by The Living Tombstone.
- Allowed 13 more songs in demo mode.
- Added Slovenian translation.
- Added Bluetooth MIDI support to Settings screen.
- Fixed stuttering when text first appears.
- Fixed missing data bug.
I teach piano classes and I have about 40 students in each class. This app created endless possibilities for me as a teacher. I display it on a big screen and the students follow along, each hand separate, slow and then both hands together. Increasing the tempo a little bit at a time creates a lot of enthusiasm in the students to keep up the challenge.
Compatibility with other platforms and keyboards
I was really excited at first to find Synthesia. I quickly bought the $10 license to unlock the other features and support the developer. I was frustrated after buying cables and adapters to learn my keyboard isn't supported. I was, however, able to download the app on my computer and use my keyboard successfully. The developer wants me to buy an additional license in order to use the same software on my Mac. The developer hasn't found a way to resolve my issue and make the software license work on separate platforms.
I have been teaching myself piano for a year and a half and have made great progress mostly due to this app. Not only does it come with very many songs, you can import any midi file, assign left and right hand parts and it automatically provides standard notation as well a Synthesia's abc notation. Best app ever!