SynthMaster One iOS is the mobile version of KV331 Audio's SynthMaster One software synthesizer, which was recently voted "The Best New Synth of 2017" by MusicRadar readers.
SynthMaster One iOS is feature wise identical to the desktop version except the following:
* 16 voice polyphony (32 for the desktop version)
* Comes with 500 presets (800 for the desktop version)
SynthMaster One iOS is KV331 Audio's first full blown synth app for the iPad. It's a powerful wavetable synth with an intuitive workflow. With its simple layout, rich wavetable/waveform content and inspiring factory presets library, designing new sounds with SynthMaster One iOS is a joy.
* 500 Factory Presets: SynthMaster One iOS comes with inspiring factory presets from a world class team of sound designers: Arksun, Aiyn Zahev, BigTone Studios, Bluffmunkey, Bulent Biyikoglu, Gercek Dorman, Dejavu Sound, Nori Ubukata, Rob Lee, Ufuk Kevser, Selcuk Ergen, The Machine, Vandalism Sound, Vorpalsound and Xenos Soundworks
* AUv3: SynthMaster One iOS supports AudioUnits V3, allowing multiple instances to run under supporting DAW apps like GarageBand, Cubasis or Beat Maker. It also supports parameter automation and full screen when running inside GarageBand.
* AirDrop: Easily share your presets over AirDrop, Mail or other iOS Applications. SynthMaster One iOS presets are interchangeable with the desktop version.
* Semi-Modular Architecture: For each SynthMaster One instance, there are 2 oscillators with 2 sub oscillators, 2 Filters, 4 ADSR Envelopes, 3 LFOs, a powerful 16 step arpeggiator/sequencer and also 11 different effects that can be inserted on to 6 FX insert slots. The sub oscillators can be connected to the oscillators in 5 different modes which let you use it as a regular sub oscillator or do complex modulations such as ring modulation, amplitude modulation, phase modulation or frequency modulation.
* 16 Step Arpeggiator/Sequencer: The arpeggiator in SynthMaster One features classic arpeggiator modes such as Up, Down, UpDown, DownUp, UpDown2, DownUp2, AsPlayed as well as Sequence, Chord and Arpeggiate modes. Each of the 16 steps of the arpeggiator has its own Velocity, Note Number, Note Length, Slide and Hold parameters.
* Wavetable Synthesis: SynthMaster One implements true wavetable synthesis which opens up new possibilities for sound design. SynthMaster One comes with a rich wavetable library and you can extend that by dragging and dropping wavetable files using the Files App (requires iOS 11+)
* Stereo Oscillators with up to 16 voices Unison: Each of the 2 oscillators in SynthMaster One have stereo output, and can have up to 16 voices "unison". Using the "voices", "voices mix", "detune curve", "detune spread", "pan stread", "tone spread" and "phase spread" parameters, each oscillator can generate a rich "supersaw" type sound.
* Zero Delay Feedback Filters: All of the 4 filter categories in SynthMaster One are developed using the zero delay feedback filter technology. With advanced filter parameters like input gain, drive, acid, filter nonlinearities and up to 4 times oversampling you can get that "analog" sound from the filters!
* Rich Set of Effects: SynthMaster One features 11 different effect types: Distortion, LoFi, Ensemble, Phaser, 6 Band EQ, Compressor, Vocoder, Delay, Chorus, Tremolo, Reverb.
* Microtuning: SynthMaster One supports Scala tuning, so tuning can be set either for each preset or globally by loading from a Scala tuning file.
* Preset Browser: SynthMaster One features a comprehensive preset browser with separate search criterias for instrument type, preset attributes, music style or preset author.
* All 64-bit iPad devices
* AUv3 Audio Unit Extensions
* Note-per-channel MIDI controllers (MPE)
* Ableton Link
* Interapp Audio and AudioBus
* Bluetooth LE MIDI Controllers
* Share presets over AirDrop, Mail or other iOS applications
1. SynthMaster One does'nt release memory for unused waveforms/wavetables
2. When user changes a waveform/wavetable when a note is playing, the change is not heard until a new note is played
3. When user changes a filter type when a note is playing, the change is not heard until a new note is played
4. SynthMaster One AUv3 crashes when instantiated under Auria
5. SynthMaster One should not allow saving presets with no name
6. When a preset is saved under a folder, the folder name should be recognized as the bank name,
Ratings and Reviews
A Must Have! Don’t even hesitate!
***Updated 6.7.18 (Is anyone else having issues with Bluetooth headphones?) I am on an iPad Pro using Sony BT studio headphones. When I try to open SynthMaster One it will force closes the app, unless I turn off my headphones then restart the app... When I do that I cannot get the headphones to work without shutting the app ooff If I open SynthMaster One in Cubasis or Garage Band, it will then allow me to open the app and get signal flow to my Sony’s ... but then it will ONLY ALLOW SynthMasters output and NOTHING ELSE outside the app. I have to close Cubasis or Garage Band, just so I can get any type of sound back into my headphones.
I loved all of KV331’s synths since I first started playing VST’s back in 2005, on my Dell PC. It’s hard to believe that it has already been 13 years!
I must admit that when I downloaded SynthMaster on my iPad I was expecting it to be (what THIS app actually is)
So if you downloaded SynthMaster and loved the sound, but hated that you didn’t have full control, then this is what you have been waiting for.
FULL CONTROL over sound, Arps, Osc, Filters, Envelopes, effects, ect.
The wave forms that this are here, wow! Not just a few Saws, Sines, Triangles, and basic noises, but everything between and then some.
I must say I only played for a few hours... But KV331 has earned a place in the Apple’s Best of 2018, that’s just a fact!
Powerful Wavetable Synth Plus
There are two oscillators, subs, a multitude of modulation options, filters, LFOs, routing options plus scala support and MIDI MPE. Works well as an AU.
Being able to add your own wavetables is great for devices that support slide over. Slide over doesn’t work on iOS 12 on an iPad Mini 2 so there is no way to add custom wavetables. The app you try to drop files to will be darkened on an iPad Mini 2 rather than regular brightness for devices like the iPad Air 2 that support it.
I contacted the developer through their website weeks ago and they still haven’t addressed the issue. I’m using version 1.1.1 on iOS 12 on both an iPad Air 2 and an iPad Mini 2.
The version 1.0 of the SynthMaster One iOS manual has information and screenshots for the desktop version with instructions for wavetable import that do not work for the iOS version.
When I try to import my presets with custom wavetables to another iOS device by opening them from the app’s iCloud folder or using AirDrop, the wavetables do not transfer into the app either. There is also no way to delete wavetables I’d added and their listed by the order I’ve added them rather than alphabetically without an option for sub folders. The developer could provide File apps import for better wavetable management.
Truly the SynthMaster!!
Finally got around to getting this monster of a synth. I love the GUI. It's logical and intuitive, without sacrificing power and versatility.
The sound is fantastic. It seems to be scanning mod sources at a very high rate. The oscillators and filters sound terrific. It includes a very capable Mod Matrix, and a powerful arpeggiator. The effects are nice sounding, too. It's rare to see so many strengths in an iOS synth. It seems nothing as been sacrificed. What a beast!!
It is a treat to see tuning maps implemented both at a global level and preset level. Only a few to choose from, I'm hoping to load more scala maps (if possible).
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.