Take a Name is a family history app for LDS Church members who want to take their own family names to the temple. It requires a FamilySearch account with access to LDS ordinances.
• Find temple ready ancestors—Take a Name searches the FamilySearch tree for your deceased ancestors and double checks that LDS ordinances are ready for the temple.
• Request LDS ordinances and print temple cards – from your phone!
• Try before you buy, pick your price—Try Take a Name for free! You can purchase the app when you're ready via in-app purchase.
• Less time searching, more time serving—Take a Name typically delivers dozens of temple ready family names in a matter of minutes. It’s genealogy, but easier!
• FamilySearch Certified—Kinpoint is a FamilySearch partner, authorized to submit names for temple work.
• Data integrity—Take a Name performs a detailed set of data checks to provide confidence that an LDS ordinance is temple ready. It also excludes names of ancestors with unresolved duplicates. Take a Name does far more than simply scraping the FamilySearch website for green temples!
Spend time in the temple with your ancestors instead of outside trying to find them.
Genealogy has never been so satisfying!
Fixed a problem with the maps feature affecting all devices. Google recently updated their Maps API and broke the maps feature within the app. Recommended update for all users.
Ratings and Reviews
This app has enabled me to take over 250 names to do baptisms over the last few months, and I will surely use it for other temple ordinances when that’s an option. I currently use two LDS accounts to find names for - mine and my stepfather’s - and while this app isn’t built for account hopping, it’s not a big ordeal nonetheless.
In response to an earlier review concerned about the 100-ordinance limit: that’s the number the app will let you have reserved, total. Because I cannot perform ordinances beyond baptism and confirmation yet, it was necessary to unreserve some sealings and such to be able to reserve more baptisms.
I am so grateful this app exists! I will be using the (optional) donate feature very soon. Thank you so much. Many of my ancestors owe you. :)
Take a Name is super easy to use. If your family search account is open and you are linked to your generations, this app finds the names of ancestors already on your family lines who are missing ordinances for you. "All of my family history is done" so it's hard to sift through the many ancestral lines to find someone to do work for. This does the hard part of searching! I do a bit of research to make sure the names it finds are accurate and not duplicates or otherwise erroneous. Super easy to reserve the name cards. Also a good tool to see when someone else has added family names to your tree so you can find sources and do additional research. Love this app!
I truly love the concept of this app. I used it for the first time and was super excited that I could reserve a name, make the card a pdf, and get it printed at the temple in a couple of minutes. It made temple work feel so easy. BUT, it only works if you are sure all information is correct on your family search tree. I realized this when I told my friend about this app; she got her name printed only to realize that there was a possibility of a duplicate on her family search. Fearfully, I looked back at my family tree and noticed that the name I was provided by the app was actually one that had an unresolved issue. She had 3 different sets of parents written on her bio. So I don’t even know if I did the correct ordinance for her.
I HIGHLY advice anyone using this app to verify on their family search before reserving and printing the name.
Thanks for the feedback! Take a Name is certainly not perfect, though we're working daily to improve it. To clarify, Take a Name does check for a host of issues before offering a name—duplicates, data errors, prerequisites, etc. Overall, the app performs more verifications than FamilySearch requires, and names are vetted to a higher standard than most of those given out in the temple. The app also provides IDs for all names and tappable links to see the person in FamilySearch. We encourage users to engage to the degree they are capable—but in general, the app is meant to be a starting point, not an ending point. Thanks for trying out the app!
- Kinpoint Inc
- 41.1 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Kinpoint, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Take a Name App $3.99
- Take a Name App $9.99
- Take a Name App $24.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.