Tales & Tours lets you use your phone as a professional multimedia tour guide.
Download the multimedia guided tours (both free & paid guides & digital tours available) provided by curators and storytellers from around the world. Dive into another world around you through offline maps, images, audio and video.
Find guides for cycling, walking, boat, indoor (museums & galleries), park, zoo, geocaching, art, nightlife, running, sports and more.
The Personal Tour Guide in Your Pocket. Do More Outdoor!
*NOTE: Tales & Tours is growing every day (and you can help!):
We are working around the clock together with local storytellers and curators to add more stories, guides and tours every day.
The app automatically checks for new content, every day you use it.
As of May 2017 we have guide availability amongst many others in the following cities across the world:
- Buenos Aires
- New York
- San Francisco
- Stratford upon Avon
Stay tuned, or demand guides near you through the in-app Guide Suggest form.
Ps. Going on holiday soon?
Use the search field on the homescreen to check your upcoming destination(s). Missing guides near your holiday spot? Be sure to use the in-app Guide Suggest form to see if we can help you with that.
Tip: If somehow some questions arise, or you have any remarks, be sure to use the 'FAQ' section, which you can find in the 'Settings'-menu. Here you can also 'Suggest Guides'.
Please note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
The Tales & Tours app tries to keep your GPS-usage as low as possible. But in order to provide the best guiding service, in GPS guided (map based) views, your GPS will continously be used, also when you leave the app running in the background. In this way the app can notify you when you reach a new point in the active guide. Need to save battery? Use the GPS toggle left-bottom on the map in the guides.
Tales & Tours: Your Guide Away. Do More Outdoor!
- minor seasonal updates
Ratings and Reviews
Doesn’t run automatically
I downloaded Mt. St. Helens guide and was looking forward for a great guided trip. But the app didn’t automatically run no matter what I’ve done. The whole point of such guide app it’s to find the user’s location and to run the audio automatically. Instead we had to start the audio manually, hopefully it is the right time. Obviously we had no idea if what was playing in the app is what we see. Very disappointing experience. Paid money for nothing.
Great idea - Needs more polish
It was great to see the variety of tours - and we were delighted to see a Chichen Itza guide but it has many issues.
(1) Too Long: It is 90 degrees outside in Cancun. Standing and listening to the paragraphs of rambling text is an exercise in endurance. If there were actual stories - it would be bearable - but these are filled with generalizations rather than stories peppered with facts.
(2) Slow Speakers: Humans can listen at 300 words per minutes. People speak at 100 wpm. That means we are continually bored listening to people. The speakers take their time talking. Get faster speakers or let us increase the speed.
(3) Missing Text: Where's the text for Chichen Itza? The app store pictures show text. We would prefer to just read it aloud ourselves instead of listening to your pictures - that way we can skip to the stories and facts and remove all the fluff.
(4) Unlabeled/Unsynchonized Pictures: The pictures aren't labeled. They talk about different trees - there are pictures of trees - but none of them are labeled so you still don't know what tree they are discussing. The pictures should synchonize with the spoken text.
(5) This is a WALKING guide, not a STANDING guide. Why isn't this designed to talk to you while you walk? Never once does it say, "Now walk to the temple"...and then give you audio to teach you something while you walk. That would be value added. Instead, you walk with no idea what to play until you get there. That means they have created a STANDING guide. You walk and then stand - often longer than you normally would.
(1) MIssing Text: There's audio but where is the text? We would prefer to read these aloud ourselves rather than listen
Just okay and that is up with the sucking of power?
We bought the Brooklyn Heights tour and the commentary was decent, not great. We did leave knowing more than we did when we came, so it was worth the $3.99 for us. One annoying feature is requiring location services to be turned on. There is something with this setting (and the camera?) that drained the battery. I'm talking stopping for lunch so I could plug in my phone drainage. Why I need this setting on is beyond me. I can find my way a couple of blocks without it.
- RP Landegent
- 30 MB
- Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Shoudio.com / Tales & Tours / Mokum 2012 - 2015
- In-App Purchases
- Chichen Itza - A walk guide near Chichen Itza $4.99
- Angkor: The Jewel In Cambodia - A walk guide near Siem Reap $3.99
- Tian'anmen and Forbidden City - A walk guide near Beijing $3.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.