TalkBoard turns your iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch into a communication aid and visual prompt board. TalkBoard is affordable because it does not come with built-in pictures or symbols, which many other apps charge extra for. You can easily use your own pictures and symbols to personalise the app to you, your children and your clients, without paying extra for symbols which you may never use! The boards shown in the screenshots below are purely for demonstration purposes, and are not included with the app.
Key features include:
- Full access to your Photo Library - use any image, photo or symbol you want in your boards, including photos stored in your Camera Roll
- Take pictures using the device's camera (if present)
- Branching - allow users to switch between boards by tapping or scanning board cells
- Record sounds on the device, and play back by tapping on pictures
- Backup and restore boards, and share them with other devices and users through iTunes or Bluetooth
- Visual timers incorporated into your boards
- Make your boards on the go with your iOS device, then print to a supported AirPrint WiFi printer or export to PDF to print from any PC or Mac
- Support for Boardmaker images with the free PicCutter tool for PC and Mac (symbols are not provided and are included in screenshots for illustration only)
- Hardware switch support with sequential/row-column and automatic/manual scanning, using RJ Cooper's bluetooth switch interface. Also supports mono and stereo auditory scanning
- Known Issues feature (in Settings) - please check this section before reporting any problems in case I am already aware of them
TalkBoard is great for teachers, Speech Therapists and parents of children and adults with:
- Language/communication difficulties
- Learning difficulties
- Physical disabilities such as Cerebral Palsy
Fixes a serious bug which caused database errors when user names, board names or cell text contained an apostrophe. Users who have been experiencing database errors please update and try again. Sincere apologies for any inconvenience.
Ratings and Reviews
Good functional and flexible App. One addition would make it GREAT!
This is a very useful app. It is very barebones and customizable. It is very simple to use and configure. Basically you select your own images, record your own sound and you can select as many tiles as you like i.e. 2x2, 2x4, 3x4.
I have not tried to see if you can setup a board to access a sub-board, but the feature that would make this a GREAT app is if it had the capability to have the selection access a web link or file on the device after being pressed. Otherwise, would have given it Five Stars
An amazing gift to children!
I am a severe needs teacher and for me this app is incredible. Not only is this app affordable, but amazingly functional and getting better and better!!! Very user friendly for both the individual using it and the individual setting it up. I love how it is compatible with Boardmaker making it great for children already familiar with those pic syms. I would love if I could drag and drop the buttons into different positions on the screen but overall I LOVE, and more importantly my students LOVE this app. This app provides access for children who may not be able to afford one of the more expensive devices yet provides many of the same options.
My students and I thank you!
When I looked at this app at first for my non-verbal, mild- to severely autistic son, I thought it seemed like a great idea. I guess I didn't read the fine print. All those big, beautiful pictures on the intro thing are not really available to you to use. Or if they are, they are available in some weird, convoluted way that is nearly impossible to understand. They want you to download some kind of weird program which cannot be done in my son's iPad. Also, there are no pre-prepared boards. If some of this was improved, this may actually become a useful app, hint-hint. I would really love it If you guys are able to fix this stuff. Or at least, make a way so that I can get to the pics.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.