Whether you're on a short trip to Thailand, working with Thais, or studying the Thai language in-depth, this is the one dictionary you can really use. 195,000+ entries (250,000+ translations), plus a built-in phrasebook with 300+ categories and 12,000+ words and full-text searchable, ready-to-use customizable phrases. Clear native sound recordings for every Thai word—even offline. Favorites screen lets you organize words/phrases in multiple folders. Includes both pronunciation guides (12 different systems) and Thai Script with the Thai and English text as big as you want. Includes a guide to speaking and writing Thai and other mind-blowing features for exploring the Thai language—nothing else even comes close!
== Listen to Any Thai Word
Touch any Thai word/phrase in any of our 195,000+ entries to hear a high-quality sound recording of a native speaker, not a toneless gravelly robot as found in other software—more than 29 hours of studio-recorded sound included. Long-press to hear 2x/4x slow playback with no change in pitch.
== No Connection Required and No Data Charges
Works even when you're in a taxi or a countryside street market and not connected to the internet: all entries and sounds are stored right on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, and you will incur no data charges when you use the app.
== Big Text and Clear, Clean Layout
Make the Thai and English text as big as you want—no more reading glasses! Easily scroll through multiple, complete definitions on the screen at once. Customize layout.
== A Dictionary Crafted for Those Learning Thai
Unlike typical dictionaries based on low-quality, free internet data meant for Thai natives, our superb dictionary entries are hand-crafted by Paiboon Publishing with your needs in mind: if you're not familiar with the Thai alphabet, you can even look up Thai words by their sound using an easy-to-read pronunciation guide system (12 popular systems are supported). Hear somebody say "sa nuk?" Type "sa nuk" to find out what it means. All Thai words in every section are written using both Thai Script and your chosen pronunciation guide system(s).
Unlike dictionaries meant for Thais, we clarify critical shades of Thai word meaning and formality using English explanations, we list crucial Thai classifiers for more than 60,000 noun entries, and we even notate syllable stress.
== Built-In Phrasebook
Beginner or advanced, communicate in Thai easily! 12,000+ phrasebook entries in 300+ categories like “Language Difficulties,” “Hotel,” “Renting a Place,” “Food/Drink,” “Price Haggling,” “Transportation,” “Health,” “Shopping,” “Sightseeing,” “Love/Romance/Sex” and even “Swearing/Insults.” Two-way conversational format helps both of you communicate.
== Introduction to Thai Included
More than just a dictionary, our software includes a comprehensive, interactive introduction to the Thai language, including a "Speaking and Understanding" section with clickable sounds and detailed grammar coverage, and a "Reading and Writing" section with all the consonants and vowels in multiple, real-world fonts.
== Unique Thai Learning Tools
This app is loaded with amazing, industry-first Thai learning tools. You can touch any word to find out which component Thai words it's made from: a great way to learn new words quickly. You can see any Thai word written in multiple real-word fonts you are likely to see on signs and menus. You can touch any Thai word to see a detailed interactive breakdown of how to pronounce each syllable (with clickable sounds that let you compare nearby sounds) or see a detailed visual explanation of its Thai spelling—indispensable for learning how to read and write Thai.
Nothing like this has ever appeared in any dictionary software on any platform.
== Buy ThaiDict Now!
Don't go another day without this indispensable tool! Enjoy free lifetime upgrades as we add more vocabulary and more features. Our website has more screen shots and much more information.
IMPORTANT: Please update your App Store reviews! Accurate ratings keep upgrades coming.
NOTE: If you prefer the old (pre-2.0) Alphabetical search interface instead of the new full-text Power search interface, just touch the magnifying glass icon at the top of the Search screen! See "Help" > "Using the App" > "Search" for full details.
VERSION 2.3 adds some cool new features and fixes:
- Real-World fonts fits more on-screen and lets you show/hide to focus on your desired fonts
- Explain Spelling help links bring you right to that vowel/consonant in Help
- Paiboon Keyboard key label size now adjustable
- Refined layout of UI for consistency with iOS 10
- More icons in Categories and Search for easier browsing
- Corrected capitalization of 2,100 scientific names
- Restores compatibility with iOS 5/6 and fixes iOS 7 rotation bug
- Several smaller fixes (see Help > Software Versions > 2.2/2.3)
- App Icon: 3-color ying-yang-yong back by popular demand!
VERSION 2.0 was a MASSIVE upgrade, more than three years in the making, including
- thousands of new Thai words and phrases suggested by you: now 195,000+ dictionary entries, up from 150,000+
- a new built-in phrasebook with 12,000+ complete, ready-to-use customizable phrases divided into 300+ practical categories like "Hotel," "Ordering Food," "Renting a Place," and "Price Haggling"
- a Favorites feature that lets you save and organize words and phrases you are learning in multiple folders
- full-text search that lets you find words in the middle of phrases (meaning that our new phrasebook also provides a rich source of sample sentences for many words), or you can choose the traditional alphabetical search from 1.x apps too.
- a built-in talking, translating currency and units converter that makes haggling in the market and shopping for land and hardware a breeze
- new "Explain Sound" support to help you get the most of Thai Sound search
- ability to hide pronunciation guides for those learning Thai Script
- an expanded Thai speaking and writing guide with new sections on date/time, grammar, and more
- a much more streamlined way to switch sections and keyboards simultaneously with one touch; both built-in and system (Apple, third-party) keyboards supported
- new auto-paste feature to save you touches when frequently copying words from other apps
- new "Copy Whole Entry" feature making it easy to export entries to flashcard and spreadsheet programs
- new "Custom URL Scheme" making it easy to launch our app from other apps and documents
As always, every word and phrase features a high-quality recording of a Thai native. Now you can even long-press to play Thai sounds 2x or 4x slow without any change in pitch.
There are so many new features that even experienced users should check out "Help" > "Five Minute Tour" and "Help" > "Software Versions" > "2.0"
Ratings and Reviews
Hands down, number one!
In my opinion, this is the best learning tool in one place you can find in an app.
The dictionary is very complete, offering a native speaker for every word so you get the tone correct.
You can search for a word in English or Thai. When you find the word you want, you can click on it to hear the sound spoken by a live native speaker in high quality recording, and also find the tone for every syllable. Even further, it gives you a breakdown for how it arrived at that tone for that syllable. Not to mention the extensive list of instructions for how to determine tones.
It will even show you the words within a word! This is a great option in the Thai language, because I have discovered that many words have a root word.
For example, the Thai word for water (nam) is found in the Thai word for gasoline, river, pond, washroom, etc.
You can save your favorite words in specific folders; this is very handy for review.
I love the list of complete vowels, and that you can click on each one to hear it's sound, and to see whether it is long or short, live or dead.
I could go on for a long time about the benefits of this app, and all of the hard work that clearly went into it.
Suffice it to say, I would pay $100 without a thought for this app. I think it's that good.
I'm confident that if you take the short time to learn how to use this app to its full potential, it will be as close to your hand as a tape measure is to a carpenter.
The best! Really and truly.
If you don't know a single word of Thai this app will get you through just about anything. The phrases that were added in the last update are invaluable. I can only imagine how useful this would be for a tourist. It's like having a translator with you. You can look things up and then let your phone speak Thai. You can have Thais speak to your phone and then read it in English. This is another invaluable tool because Thai is tonal and has many new sounds for English speakers that must be learned.
I have lived in Thailand for 20 years and I am told that I speak very well but I will never reach 100%. Thai and English are too radically different, at least for me. Thai people tell me I am fluent but I use this app almost every month. Just browsing through it I learn new words and new ways to express ideas.
Only issue I have is that it does not have all the vocabulary that I need. But I do not come across this issue too often. Also the app lets you suggest any words that it does not have. Hopefully my suggestions will be included in the next update. The vocabulary that is lacking is almost always high level language that I need for discussing things with doctors, lawyers, having philosophical or religious discussions and things like that which a tourist or newcomer to the language would not need.
It is worth so much more than the price that they charge. You will not be disappointed!
Absolutely Worth It
As someone who lives in Thailand as is currently trying to learn the language, I would be absolutely lost without this app.
It has everything you need to learn the basic rules of grammar, reading, writing and has an explanation for why everything is the way it is. Plus a limitless dictionary that has just about every word you could imagine. The most comprehensive app I could ask for to the fundamentals of Thai.
I was hesitant to spend $25 dollars on an app at first but it is absolutely, without a doubt worth it, if you're interested in learning Thai, it is a must buy.
- Word in the Hand
- 643.4 MB
- Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2017 Paiboon Publishing Inc. and Word in the Hand Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.