Teach Your Monster to Read - Phonics and Reading
By Teach Monster Games Ltd.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Teach Your Monster to Read is an award-winning phonics and reading game that’s helped over a million children learn to read.
● Covers the first two years of learning to read, from matching letters and sounds to enjoying little books.
● Designed in collaboration with leading academics.
● Complements all synthetic phonics programmes used in schools.
● Suitable for school and home use.
● Now includes all 3 games! First Steps, Fun With Words and Champion Reader!
Children create a monster and take it on a magical journey over three extensive games - meeting a host of colourful characters along the way and improving their reading skills as they progress.
The game is rigorous and works with any phonics scheme so it’s perfect for use in school and at home. It’s developed in collaboration with leading academics at the University of Roehampton.
The app is commonly used in preschool, primary school, kindergarten and first grade as an interactive teaching resource.
● Complements Phases 2-5 of UK Government-approved Letters and Sounds and other major systematic synthetic phonics programmes.
● Absolutely no in-app purchases, hidden costs or in-game adverts. Perfect for kids!
● Suitable for ages 3-6.
● Designed in collaboration with reading experts from Roehampton University.
● Available on iPad and iPhone.
Reviews of the online game:
"This game is the absolute best quality phonics game I have come across for educational and fun value."
Marie Lewis, Rochdale
“My class have reaped loads of benefits from using the programme and the difference in some of their reading skills has been dramatic."
Maria Andrews, Foundation Phase Teacher
"This is a fabulous game. I'm not kidding when I say that my daughter essentially learned all her letter sounds using First steps, with relatively minimal input from me! Great for parents to practise their letter sounds too."
What's New in Version 3.1
* Practice Mode including our brand new 10 Minute Adventure and Single Minigames
* 10 Minute Adventure: Choose letter sounds to practice in a fun and interactive new adventure mode
* Single Minigames: Choose a ‘letter sound matching’ or ‘blending and segmenting’ game with your chosen GPCs (Grapheme Phoneme Correspondences)
* Music volume controls in Settings to enable users to choose the balance between music and speech
IMPROVEMENTS AND FIXES
* Switched the first game from sheep to ducks to avoid confusion with “s” letter sound and “sh-eep”
* Polished the interface – clearer images, texts and buttons to enhance the overall appearance
* New in-game music in some mini-games to add more variety and aid in the clarity of phonemes
* More intuitive controls for the UFO and submarine mini-games
* Added Progress Maps between levels in Fun With Words and between galaxies in Champion Reader
* Fixed a word sequence in Champion Reader
* Minor bug fixes including in monster shop and on maps
* Reduced memory load in Champion Reader
Effective and fun!
When my 4 year old daughter began using this game she loved it and didn't want to put it down. When she started she knew all the letters of her alphabet and many sounds. Within the first two months she was reading simple words (CVC). By the fourth month she was reading simple sentences. By 9 months she had completed finished all three levels of the game and could read proficiently at a 2nd grade level (about 550 lexile). I combined this game with Usborne Books & More's Very First Reading Set, which progresses using the same sounds/words as each part of the game.
The only downsides of this game are: as an American some of our pronunciations are different than how they are taught in the game (just a few words, but I enjoy hearing the accents of the narrator and characters), and single sounds/parts of the game cannot be focused on for further practice; the entire level has to be repeated. With my daughter I made up flash cards to practice her sounds and tricky words, but being able to select a letter/letter combination/word to repeat would be a nice feature. Overall, though, I give this game 5 stars for being FUN and very EFFECTIVE. I recommend this to everybody!
Fabulous program and app!
I'm an SLP who helps children with reading difficulties. I have recommended this wonderful program to many families. The kids love it! Only thing to be aware of for those in the US is that the program does use British pronunciations for some sounds as the program is from the UK. I love the mini games and the reiteration and repetition for sounds and words used, Fabulous program! Be sure to also check out the website version of the game.
This app is amazing! Both my 6 year old and 3 year old enjoy playing it and it really does help them with their letter sounds and reading skills. Worth every penny! Sometimes my 3 year old has difficulty figuring out what he is supposed to do, but the 6 year old will help him. I recommend this to everyone who is trying to help a child learn to read, especially for reluctant readers.