Terminology 3 - Extensible Dictionary and Thesaurus
By Agile Tortoise
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Terminology is a browser for the English language – part dictionary/thesaurus and part research tool. Terminology is designed to make it easy to explore words and phrases, diving down to more and less specific terms - accessing the web and other apps for more detail and sharing.
### "9/10...a Must-have Dictionary and Thesaurus App" - AppStorm
### "Terminology 3 is my go-to dictionary app" - Macstories
### "If you’re looking for the best dictionary app...then look no further" - App Advice
More than a dictionary, Terminology can be extended with custom actions to search the Internet as well as other reference apps which support integration – making it a great place to start all your searches.
One of the most popular reference apps on the App Store, Terminology is a Universal (iPad/iPhone) app, ready for iOS 9, with iCloud sync of favorites terms, lookup history and custom actions.
- Full offline U.S. English dictionary and word reference with simple clear definitions.
- Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and deeper word relations such as: more and less specific words, part, part of, members, member of, pertains to and more.
- Star favorite words for quick access.
- Word browsing history.
- iCloud sync.
- Custom "Actions" to browse your current term on websites and/or lookup terms in other apps which support integration via URL schemes. Create your own or visit our Action Directory for single tap installable actions for many sites (http://actions.agiletortoise.com).
- Wildcard (?,*) searching.
- Spelling suggestions.
- Export/Share definitions, favorites and history lists.
- Dropbox integration to keep favorites and word histories backed up.
- Lookup and select replacement words from Drafts, Phraseology, Instapaper, Mr. Reader, Writeup, Writing Kit and a growing list of other apps.
- Customizable fonts and font size.
- Extensive support for URL scheme integration via x-callback-url. Visit our website for details.
- Terminology's offline dictionary is based on the latest 3.1 version of the Princeton University WordNet project and contains U.S. English words.
We love to hear your feedback, please contact us.
What's New in Version 3.3.4
#### Visit our blog for more detailed release notes: agiletortoise.com/blog
- [New] Previous/Next word buttons to browse through history.
- [New] Remove word from history button now requires confirmation.
- [Change] Visual tweaks to user interface icons.
- [Change] Update "about" information at bottom of settings.
- [Change] Word search, favorites and history lists maintain separate search query text.
- [Fix] Do not update history time for entry if it's already in the history list.
- [Change] Periodically rebuild Spotlight index.
- [Fix] Dropbox linking would not open Dropbox app for authentication.
Help & Support: email@example.com
News and Tips: @terminologyapp on Facebook and Twitter
Review and ratings are always appreciated!
Best dictionary app on iOS. Period.
I am a senior in high school and I can confidently say that this app helps tremendously to build up vocabulary for the SAT. Whenever I encounter a word I don't know and would like to learn, I just open Terminology and I am enlightened!
The extensibility and flexibility of the app is also lifesaving if you prefer different dictionary definitions over others. I can switch between Merriam-Websters and Oxford in a flash.
Had to write this review after looking at the 1 star reviews that don't do this app justice. Been using this app for a while and it may seem cluttered and unintuitive at first, but once you learn how to use it properly, it's great.
Nice app but has privacy flaw
I like the customizability of this app, so I can add in various dictionaries and reference tools. Having Urban Dictionary as an option really helps with words and phrases I might not find in a regular list of words!
But, I really dislike the app's behavior of automatically pasting in whatever is on my clipboard upon launch. I know the intent is convenience, so I can copy a word to look up and not have to bother pasting it into this app. The problem is I might have other things on my clipboard. For instance I recently launched this app and it automatically pasted in one of my passwords! I wish I could turn that feature off.
Missing focus on word search
The word search function is too cumbersome!
You have to hit the magnify glass in lower left corner, then you need to delete previous entry to type your new word.
You the get promoted for dictionaries and if you hit the X button to search a new word you get prompted if you want to delete the history. UGH!
The UI focus of the app should be about search. Make it always visible, make it so you don't have to backspace over previous word. X should clear and not delete history.
Dictionary setup should be configured at install.
Search results on words not found should deliver Google search result which does the best job of finding misspelled words.
Apple's built in dictionary should be an option, along with the ability to cross check user word additions. Exposing UI to fix mistakes would be huge competitive advantage.
Push your ad free API for other dictionary apps to integrate.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jul 18, 2016
- Version: 3.3.4
- Size: 77.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Agile Tortoise
- © 2010-2016 by Agile Tortoise, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.