Terminology Dictionary: Thesaurus and Dictionary
By Agile Tortoise
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Terminology is a browser for the English language – part dictionary, part thesaurus and part research tool. Terminology makes it easy to explore words and phrases, diving down to more and less specific terms - accessing the web and other apps for more detail and sharing.
More than a dictionary, Terminology can be extended with custom actions to search the Internet and other reference apps – making it a great place to start all your searches.
Use the share extension to select text anywhere, in any app, and look it up in Terminology.
### Dictionary, Thesaurus & Search
- Offline U.S. English dictionary and word reference with simple clear definitions.
- Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and deeper word relations such as: more and less specific words, part, part of, members, member of, pertains to and more.
- Favorite terms.
- Word browsing history.
- Add your own notes to any term.
- Audio pronunications.
- Wildcard (?,*) searching.
- Spelling suggestions.
- Fast, reliable, iCloud (CloudKit) sync and backup of history, favorites, notes and actions.
- Term of the day.
### Extensible Actions
Actions provide quick links to lookup and search your terms on websites and in other apps. Ready to use actions for popular reference sites like Wikipedia, Dictionary.com, Google, IMDb, Snopes and more, or create your own with simple URL templates.
### All the Latest Technologies
- Share extension lets you access Terminology from a text selection in any app.
- Today widget for quick access.
- 3D Touch support.
- iPad Multitasking/Split View support.
- Spotlight and Handoff support.
### More Features
- Extensive support for URL scheme integration via x-callback-url. Visit our website for details.
- Great support for Accessibility features like VoiceOver and Dynamic Text.
### About the Dictionary
- Terminology's offline dictionary is based on the latest 3.1 version of the Princeton University WordNet project and contains U.S. English words.
We love to hear your feedback, please contact us.
What's New in Version 4.0.6
#### Visit our blog for more detailed release notes: agiletortoise.com/blog
- **Fix:** Case where search for a root word would list duplicate results.
- **Change:** Build with latest 10.3 support.
- **Change:** Use new 10.3 ratings/review prompt system when available.
- **Other:** Other minor tweaks and improvements that are too boring to list individually.
Help & Support: firstname.lastname@example.org
News and Tips: @terminologyapp on Facebook and Twitter
Review and ratings are always appreciated!
Ads worried me but developer response allayed my concerns. A good app.
UPDATED REVIEW IN RESPONSE TO DEVELOPER FEEDBACK:
The developers addressed my concerns about the ads, particularly about whether the ad SDK is active if the ads are eliminated thru in-app purchases. Upping my review to 5 stars for the app and the helpful developer response, and will buy the pro version. I would still advise other users: pay to get rid of the ads. Ads are evil. Really. Cough up a couple bucks, pay your developers, give the finger to the creepy ad companies.
Developers who integrate an ad platform usually don't have very direct/specific knowledge about exactly how that ad SDK uses or abuses the app's permissions. So Agile Tortoise probably didn't specifically intend this thing to send my location to the ad company so they can track me and deliver ads customized to the places I've traveled in the past few weeks. But it's happening. So this app is dead to me.
I could pay to get rid of the ads, but there's no guarantee that getting rid of the *display* of ads will keep the SDK from tracking me in the background anyway.
The location-specific ad targeting creeped me the hell out. I would have cheerfully purchased an app like this but the "we're installing invasive adware, but if you pay us then we won't show you the ads but for all you know the adware is still surveilling you" model is not one I can get behind.
Nope, nope, and nope.
Great utility, fun to use..
• What he said!! LoL!!
• But what he said describes it perfectly..
I love this program.. I look up stuff all the time.. Often a word is used and I want a better understanding of what was written. Just select the word and then share w "Te", and you'll get a great answer.. When you select done, it takes you back to where you were and closes Te.. Very tidy!!
Bait and switch
Like many other people here, I paid for the app and was very happy. But then the developer added ads and removed features and asked for more money to restore the app to its original form. Don't reward this kind of developer
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Apr 12, 2017
- Version: 4.0.6
- Size: 103 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Agile Tortoise
- © 2010-2017 by Agile Tortoise, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases