Textastic is a fast and versatile text, code and markup editor. It supports syntax highlighting of more than 80 programming and markup languages. Connect to FTP, SFTP, SSH and WebDAV servers or to your Dropbox or Google Drive account. Use the built-in WebDAV server to easily transfer files from your Mac or PC over Wi-Fi.
NEW IN TEXTASTIC 7:
• You can now open multiple files in tabs.
• SSH terminal connections
• New syntax highlighter with much better support for modern features in almost all supported programming and markup languages.
• You can now sort file lists by name, extension, date, and size.
• Use the new fuzzy search for files to find and open a file by typing characters that are in the name of the file or path.
• Syntax highlighting of more than 80 languages:
• Compatible with TextMate and Sublime Text 3 syntax definitions and themes
• Emmet support
• FTP, FTPS (FTP over SSL), SFTP (SSH connection), WebDAV, Dropbox and Google Drive clients
• Git repositories from the Git client app Working Copy can be opened as external folders in Textastic
• iCloud Drive
• WebDAV server
• Symbol list to quickly navigate in a file
• Full external keyboard support
• Displays additional keys over the virtual keyboard to make it easy to type characters often used for programming
• Cursor navigation wheel for easy text selection
• Easily move the cursor using swipe gestures
• Split View and Slide Over multitasking on iPad
• Full iPad Pro and iPhone X support
• Supports most encodings like UTF-8, ISO-8859-1, CP 1251 or MacRoman
• Supports different tab widths and soft tabs (spaces instead of tabs)
• Customizable font and font sizes
• Find & Replace (including regular expression search)
• File information like character count and word count
• Send files by email
• Local and remote web preview for HTML and Markdown files
• Supports TextExpander touch snippet expansion
Textastic supports several ways to import your files:
• Connect to (S)FTP and WebDAV servers, Dropbox or Google Drive
• By using "Open In" in other apps
• Over Wi-Fi with the built-in WebDAV server
Don't hesitate to tell me the features you want to see in the next version!
- Added keyboard shortcuts for navigating with the cursor keys in the list of files, search results, and in the symbol list
- Added a keyboard shortcut to show the sidebar when it is not visible on iPad
- A long press on the preview button now shows a menu with "Preview" and "Preview in Safari" options
- Fixed a problem when trying to open a file from an external file provider (e.g. OneDrive) when the file was not downloaded yet
New in Textastic 7: Opening multiple files in tabs, SSH terminal connections, new syntax highlighter, sorting and searching file listings, and much more.
Tabs: you can now open multiple files in tabs. When you open a file, it is opened in a transient tab, indicated by the italic title. To make the tab stay when you open another file, tap on the file title, the pin button at the right side of the tab, or on the editor. You can drag tabs to reorder them.
SSH terminal: you can now open SSH terminal connections in tabs. If you already have SFTP connections configured, they can be re-used for a terminal connection.
New syntax highlighter: Textastic 7 has a completely new syntax highlighter that can use Sublime Text 3 syntax definitions (in addition to language grammars from TextMate 1). This means much better support for modern features in almost all supported programming and markup languages.
Added syntax definitions for TypeScript, Rust, and reStructuredText. Updated syntax definitions for almost all other supported languages.
You can now sort file lists by name, extension, date, and size.
Fuzzy search for files: use it to find and open a file by typing characters that are in the name of the file or path. This searches the current folder and subfolders. A sophisticated scoring algorithm orders the search results, so you'll find the most likely match on the top of the list. Consecutive character matches, acronyms, and matching file extensions get a higher score. If you are looking for a file named “SettingsViewController.h”, try searching for the acronym “svc” or “svc.h” and it will most likely appear at the top of the list.
The document picker (“Open…” command) can now open any file with any file extension, not just text files with known file extensions. Textastic warns you if you try to open a binary file. You can also select more than one file to open them in tabs.
You can now drag & drop files from other apps like the Files app or Working Copy onto the editor to open them in tabs.
Added keyboard shortcuts to close popovers and dialogs: Cmd-., Cmd-W, and Escape
If you like Textastic, it would be amazing if you could leave a positive rating or review on the App Store!
Ratings and Reviews
I do all my web development in this app
Wow! Now with SSH terminal emulator!!
What a fantastic update! Textastic already blew my socks off long ago, and I honestly couldn’t have asked for more. But with the ability to get to a command window on hosts in the same app is really a dream come true. No more editing, switching over to another app to restart a service or check a log file, then switching back to edit, only to find when I need to get back to the console, the other app has disconnected.
The SSH shell is rock solid too. When I saw the feature in the update notes, honestly, I didn’t expect much. My experience with iOS terminal emulators in general has been so-so. This one beats them all hands down! Granted I haven’t put it to hard use yet, but so far, it’s by far my favorite.
Fantastic job! Thanks so much!
Really great tool for quick edits
It’s a great tool for making quick edits, but it lacks some common features that I expect to be in editors that I use on the desktop. For example, keyboard shortcuts for switching quickly between files, quick-add-next-match, etc... Now I know that those are on the Mac, and this is iOS, but I have a dream where I can do everything development-related that I want on my iPad. Those features would be a step towards making that possible and I would pay extra to have them. Thank you for the great work!
- Alexander Blach
- 19 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, German
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2010-2018 Alexander Blach
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.