Textastic Code Editor for iPad
By Alexander Blach
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Textastic is a fast and versatile text, code and markup editor. It supports syntax highlighting of more than 80 programming and markup languages. Connect to FTP, SFTP and WebDAV servers or to your Dropbox account. Use the built-in WebDAV server to easily transfer files from your Mac or PC over Wi-Fi.
It's the perfect app to view and edit your website and source code files at home, in the office or on the road.
• Syntax highlighting of more than 80 languages:
• Compatible with TextMate syntax definitions and themes
• FTP, FTPS (FTP over SSL), SFTP (SSH connection), WebDAV and Dropbox clients
• WebDAV server
• Symbol list to quickly navigate in a file
• Full keyboard dock and bluetooth keyboard support
• Displays additional keys over the virtual keyboard to make it easy to type characters often used for programming
• Cursor navigation wheel for easy text selection
• Supports most encodings like UTF-8, ISO-8859-1, CP 1251 or MacRoman
• Supports different tab widths and soft tabs (spaces instead of tabs)
• Customizable font and font sizes
• Undo & Redo
• Find & Replace (including regular expression search)
• File information like character count and word count
• Send files by email
• Local and remote web preview for HTML and Markdown files
• Supports TextExpander touch snippet expansion
Textastic supports several ways to import your files:
• Connect to (S)FTP and WebDAV servers or Dropbox
• By using "Open In" in other apps
• Over Wi-Fi with the built-in WebDAV server
• Over USB via iTunes File Sharing
Don't hesitate to tell me the features you want to see in the next version!
What's New in Version 5.1.1
The transition to 64-bit in the last version of Textastic introduced a bug on 32-bit devices when uploading files to FTP servers: on these devices, the file size was passed incorrectly to the FTP library which would result in a "partial upload" error message. Sorry for that!
Just what I've been looking for!
I've been on the lookout for a versatile, well-designed text editor that I could use across all my devices for some time. There is a wealth of choices out there, but many of them seem to fall short in one way or another. Plus, being visually-handicapped, many of them disappointed me for their lack of voiceover support.
Not so with Textastic. Within minutes, I had a customized environment that suited my needs across all of my devices: my iPhone, iPad, and my desktop Mac. It's fairly intuitive, and while it's easy to set up it is also very customizable.
I spent a good deal of time editing scripts, parsing text files, and doing all the other fun things a UNIXes systems administrator does. This just made my life much easier.
Really amazing text editor
Ever since I bought Textastic, I've logged so many hours on it working on all kinds of projects. I write a lot of LaTeX documents and Textastic is really amazing with that. I can see the entire structure of my document at a tap of a button, and the special keys on the keyboard make it so easy to type characters specific to LaTeX like the back slash. There is even a forward delete key. The customisability and connectivity of this app makes it very flexible and easy to use. I can log on to my work computer to fetch files that I'd like to work on when I'd like to work on them. I think I might want to buy the iPhone version so I can use this on my iPhone as well when I can't bring my iPad with me.
If not Diet Coda Then Textastic
This is one of the best web editors for the iPad, I use Diet Coda 75% of the time but when I need a change of scenery or need to run some test this editor works flawlessly. I appreciate the intuitive interface and clean minimal design! All in all I give it a 5 out of 5 for being an outstanding app right out the box!
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Apr 23, 2014
- Version: 5.1.1
- Size: 15.8 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Russian
- Seller: Alexander Blach
- © 2010-2014 Alexander Blach
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.