Textastic Code Editor for iPad
By Alexander Blach
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Textastic is a fast and versatile text, code and markup editor. It supports syntax highlighting of more than 80 programming and markup languages. Connect to FTP, SFTP and WebDAV servers or to your Dropbox account. Use the built-in WebDAV server to easily transfer files from your Mac or PC over Wi-Fi.
It's the perfect app to view and edit your website and source code files at home, in the office or on the road.
• Syntax highlighting of more than 80 languages:
• Compatible with TextMate syntax definitions and themes
• FTP, FTPS (FTP over SSL), SFTP (SSH connection), WebDAV and Dropbox clients
• WebDAV server
• Symbol list to quickly navigate in a file
• Full keyboard dock and bluetooth keyboard support
• Displays additional keys over the virtual keyboard to make it easy to type characters often used for programming
• Cursor navigation wheel for easy text selection
• Supports most encodings like UTF-8, ISO-8859-1, CP 1251 or MacRoman
• Supports different tab widths and soft tabs (spaces instead of tabs)
• Customizable font and font sizes
• Undo & Redo
• Find & Replace (including regular expression search)
• File information like character count and word count
• Send files by email
• Local and remote web preview for HTML and Markdown files
• Supports TextExpander touch snippet expansion
Textastic supports several ways to import your files:
• Connect to (S)FTP and WebDAV servers or Dropbox
• By using "Open In" in other apps
• Over Wi-Fi with the built-in WebDAV server
• Over USB via iTunes File Sharing
Don't hesitate to tell me the features you want to see in the next version!
What's New in Version 5.2.1
• added Menlo font
• importing images did not work
• additional keys were not displayed in find/replace
• .htaccess files are now properly recognized as Apache files
• improved the behavior when many files are present in an iCloud folder
• other bug fixes
If you like Textastic, it would be amazing if you could leave a positive rating or review on the App Store!
Great Friendly Coding App
All I could say is that this is app is well-polished an has many unique features such as preview. I enjoy the design and also has a great online manual that is enriched with information that is useful when learning about the app. Nice work Alexander! Can't wait for future updates.
My site maintenance tool of choice: 6 stars
Worth every penny. “Runs faster and jumps higher.”
Me? 6 sites. CSS, HTM, JS, PHP, SVG all in Textastic (plus imported images). 6 iCloud folders shared between iPad, iPhone, and MBP, FTPed to sites. All smooth as silk.
Mobile first: I do my Textastic work on the iPad Mini, very occasionally on the road for an emergency update from the iPhone 6 Plus.
I whip out the MBP only now and then to backup changes made on Textastic mobile and to keep BBEdit and FileZilla up to date ;-)
My only gripe is that it can be a little slow to sync iCloud files updated on other devices: I don't know whether that's the app's fault or Apple's.
File handling needs rethinking
ICloud Drive is poorly integrated. The whole file handling approach is messy and confusing. I want to able to edit files on an iCloud Drive so those edits are shared across my devices. Then push them to a web server. iCloud drive doesn't seem to be an option for direct access, only via an open... Dialog. Thus it doesn't fit in with the separate sftp upload/download approach for servers.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Feb 10, 2015
- Version: 5.2.1
- Size: 11.4 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Russian
- Seller: Alexander Blach
- © 2010-2015 Alexander Blach
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.