By Alexander Blach
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Textastic is a powerful and fast text, code, and markup editor.
• syntax highlighting support for more than 80 source code and markup languages
• compatible with TextMate syntax definitions and themes
• open files in tabs
• open folders in a sidebar
• find in files
• symbol list to quickly navigate in a file
• Emmet support built-in
• Auto Save and Versions
• iCloud document sync
• ready for Retina displays
Please note: You can use Textastic for iPad and iPhone to sync files between the Mac and iOS versions of Textastic using iCloud.
What's New in Version 3.1
• Support for iCloud Drive and Handoff
• Improved performance on OS X Yosemite
• Made syntax-based auto-indentation less aggressive when editing existing files.
• Fixed a crash that could happen after closing the last tab of a full-screen window.
• Fixed a crash when creating a new file from a template with a file extension that is not known to the system.
No FTP support
Good app just has no way to upload via FTP to server. Its not a big deal but if I knew it before I bought it I would of kept looking for another app. I bought the iPad version first and it can upload via FTP. I have a small hobby site I mess around with but the iPad version was a bit to clumsy to work with for long periods of time so I decided to get the mac version. I was to happy with the iPad version to see what was different. Once I downloaded and installed it I was at a loss on how to add a connection. After a little bit of looking around I saw the mac version has no FTP support.
I like it, mostly. No print support
I like this editor. It’s simple, and just does what it does, without a lot of fuss. In fact, it’s so simple it has no printing support! I rarely print, but to do it in Textastic I have to launch TextEdit, copy the content out of Textastic, paste in TextEdit and print. Really? Although I’m glad they are circumspect about adding features, I think that’s a little too austere. But again, the actual editor is nice.
Great companion to the incredible iOS versions.
This is a great, on-the-go editor. It's super light-weight, knows dozens of languages, and the developer has an open forum where he responds to bugs and feature requests. For $2.99, it's a steal.