TextExpander + Keyboard
By SmileOnMyMac, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Type faster on your iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod touch® in any App using the TextExpander keyboard. The keyboard enables custom abbreviations to expand into long “snippets” of text, such as addresses, URLs, email signatures, and form letters.
** Requires a TextExpander account ** Keeps your snippets current on all your devices ** Sharing options let you share the wealth of knowledge stored in your snippets with your circle **
How does TextExpander work? Make an abbreviation “eemail” and have it expand into “email@example.com.” You can even insert today's date automatically with the default abbreviation “ddate”!
Use all your TextExpander snippets in Mail, Safari, everywhere, using the custom keyboard.
Use TextExpander snippets with any keyboard in over 70 apps with integrated support, including Byword, Dispatch, Drafts, Fantastical 2, Launch Center Pro, OmniFocus for iPhone, OmniOutliner for iPad, TaskAgent, and Tap Forms. See smilesoftware.com/apps for a complete list.
With advanced snippets you can even use fill-in-the-blanks to breeze through form letters.
"If you do a lot of writing and communication on your iPhone, TextExpander is practically required for efficiency." - iPhone AppStorm
- Expand custom keyboard shortcuts into frequently-used text
- Works in all Apps via TextExpander custom keyboard
- Expand text such as greetings, email signatures, form letters
- Correct typos automatically
- Insert today's date; even yesterday’s date
- Create snippets easily with the rich text editor & editing bar
- Use and search multiple snippet groups
- Add Predefined Groups such as autocorrect, accented words, Emoji, symbols, HTML, and CSS
- Includes keyboards for: English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian
- Includes QWERTY, QWERTZ, and AZERTY layout support for English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, and Spanish keyboards
- Use TextExpander’s in-app Notes with advanced fill-in-the-blank and formatted text support
- Automatically send your notes as email, text messages, and tweets
- Integrated support in over 70 apps, including Byword, Dispatch, Drafts, Fantastical 2, Launch Center Pro, OmniFocus for iPhone, OmniOutliner for iPad, TaskAgent, and Tap Forms
What's New in Version 4.4
- Improves statistics collection from keyboard usage
- Resolves case where keyboard could flicker when invoked
- Other fixes and improvements
What inyjay said
I wrote the review below before reading inyjay's review and they're right, the issues are apples fault so I won't fault the dev for doing their best. As for the new pricing structure, nobody likes to go to subscription pricing, but it's the world we live in. Compared to almost any other app I use, this by far saves me the most time consistently.
As for the apps themselves, I really don't create snippets as much as I should because I don't feel like the apps work quite as smooth as other 3rd party apps, like 1Password. If the Mac app worked a little better this would almost be the only app you would ever need to use.
I seem to have a problem always remembering the shortcuts to snippets. I like the pop up reminder, but a pop up is too late if I already typed it. It would be nice to have some sort of auto completion feature, or even a hot key+prefix that will pop up a little window of available snippets based on that prefix. That would make my life perfect.
My review before considering inyjay's review:
The keyboard is revolutionary, but the autocorrect doesn't come close to apples keyboard and having to add each individual snippet is a nightmare.
tl:dr for the developer
Insert snippet into password field or provide some sort of auto fill based on the snippet. (I just thought of this right this second, I know you can use tab in snippets, so I wonder if I can create my own auto fill already, I'll check and update)
The functionality is sometimes buggy and it doesn't always work on both iOS and Mac, but in all honesty, no other apps have even come close to doing anything near what this app does except for keyboard maestro and maybe Alfred if you configure the workflows, but neither of those apps integrate with iOS the same way.
It's nice to have the keyboard, but it's super annoying I have to add each individual snippet to the keyboard to get it to work properly. Otherwise, when it works, its glorious. I do a lot of coding and command line stuff on my mobile devices so it really comes in hand when I have to run a script that has a thousand custom arguments along with it.
My second problem with the keyboard is that the autocorrect doesn't even come close to apples keyboard. So I always have to have three keyboards enabled: apple, emoji, textexpander.
Those might be kinda harsh reviews on one of the couple apps I use religiously and depend on daily, but the fact that I depend on it daily is likely to bring up more annoyances then if I just used it when it was convenient.
Request to the developer:
Could you possibly make some sort of password integration on iOS? It would be awesome if there was even just a tiny little password button on the keyboard that auto inserted an encrypted default "master" password when you press it. Even if the encryption thing is too difficult, it would be awesome to be able to insert a snippet into a password field. As security continues to tighten and password continue to get longer, My fingers practically have to play twister just to type in a password, it's a nightmare doing this at least once every 15 minutes. Especially when using different passwords. I also use 1Password, but constantly having to relogin to that defeats the purpose of saving time.
I think that's all for now, keep up the sweet work.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jun 15, 2017
- Version: 4.4
- Size: 42.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: SmileOnMyMac, LLC
- © 2016 SmileOnMyMac, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.