By Codeux Software, LLC
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Textual is the world's most popular application for interacting with Internet Relay Chat (IRC) chatrooms on OS X.
First appearing in 2010, Textual has since evolved and matured into the top IRC client for OS X; relied on and trusted by thousands of people.
• Textual includes two elegantly designed dark and light variants of the user interface which have been refined all the way down to the very last pixel.
Powerful, yet lightweight
• Textual supports very powerful modern technologies such as native IPv6, the latest IRCv3 specifications, client-side certificate authentication, and much, much more in an easy to navigate, clutter free environment.
Privacy is valued
• Textual protects your privacy by leveraging widely accepted, proven technologies such as Off-the-Record Messaging (OTR) to ensure that the only people reading your conversations are those that you intend to.
• Textual takes customization to the next level with styles created using well documented, open web standards in addition to addons built using a multitude of programming languages such as AppleScript, Objective-C, PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, s, and Swift.
Textual also includes…
• Inline nickname colorization
• Rich array of keyboard shortcuts
• iCloud support for syncing connections and preferences
• Address Book for tracking when friends are online & offline
• Powerful, customizable, rule-based ignore matching
• Inline media embedding (Show images inline with chat)
• Auto-Completion for nicknames, commands, and channels
• Growl and native Notification Center support
• Bold, color, italic, and underline text formatting
• Built in support for converting text emoticons to emojis
• Powerful ZNC integration for power users
• Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)
• SOCKS4, SOCKS5, and HTTP proxy support (with or without SSL)
• Support for sending self-signed certificates for authentication
• Support for validating and specifying trust for untrusted certificates
…and much, much more!
See https://www.codeux.com/ for more information
What's New in Version 5.1.4
• Added anonymous HTTP proxy support which can handle secured connections transparently.
• The default proxy type for all connections has changed to “Automatic” which means that Textual will use the SOCKS proxy configured in System Preferences when enabled. This change was made to reflect the behavior of other applications such as Safari which automatically use the system-wide proxy as-well.
• HTTP, SOCKS4, and SOCKS5 proxies now support client-side certificate authentication and certificate validation.
Version 5.1.4 also includes:
• Improved accuracy and consistency of the model list used by the sysinfo command.
• Automatic Off-the-Record Messaging (OTR) is no longer enabled by default.
For a complete list of changes, see the following web page:
Alright but missing some key features
Overall the app is ok. I am a little disappointed in the reviewers so far as this just seems like a watered down version of adium (which is free). Overall the app looks ok but adium looks just as good and segments text better.
- Functioning IRC client
- Easy to install and set up
- Watered down IRC client
- Boasts of extensibility and “Many community add ons” when in reality there are VERY few
- Handles alerts very poorly
Overall the alerts functionality was huge for me. I don’t want to be alerted in the same manner for every channel and I should have fine control over that. Overall this app is just ok. I would recommend other free options over this app as they are typically better.
Works very well, and good ZNC support.
I use Textual 5 to connect to a ZNC bouncer, behind which is a Bitlbee IRC/IM gateway. It works great. My laptop can wake/sleep, connect or disconnect, it all "just works" and I never miss anything.
Amazing - Best IRC Client - OTR is a great addition!
Amazing App! - Super friendly to use and set up.
It does everything I need it to while not wasting any RAM or other resources.
Works seamlessly - Couldn’t ask for more!
OTR is just the cherry on top!
This app is so great if I had a $25 Apple gift card, I’d buy it 6 times!